cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you go.?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Would you go.?

Let's assume that this country got involved in a war which of course they assume they would win but let's imagine things got out of hand and it was necessary for people to volunteer to fight for the country .
First question would you volunteer to  go assume for the sake of this question you were young enough to go.
Second question if you got call up papers would you go .?
Last question if you answered no to the first two questions would you still say no if the country  was going to be invaded ?
Please stick to the question, no comments about who would want to invade us, or that we have already been invaded so its too late.
Smiley
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Would you go.?

No.
1) I have too many health problems imposed on me by the NHS.
2) When I've been vulnerable this country turned its back on me and offered me no support
Loyalty requires loyalty in return. If you treat people like dirt you can't expect them to be loyal in return.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

1. No as I am now to old lol, however (if I was a lot younger then I would already be in the armed forces)
2. Yes, See Number 1
3. See 1 & 2 (stop looking for number 4, as it does not exist) Lmao
Community Veteran

I'd not be able to do anything "frontline" other than electronic or engineering stuff but I'd have no problem fighting for my country.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
Though I am too old I would defend my family and, by default, my country.
nanotm
Pro

due to health problems no to the first two, to the last like anyone with a brain I'd  do what I could.
@7up,
I agree with your sentiments but only to a point (i'll happily decry the problems) after which the old adage of "better the devil you know" becomes paramount, I couldn't lead a strike team or anyone of a whole host of other things but I could still work behind in logistics or even man fixed gun position and when your talking about getting invaded its more about defending what little you love and have than it is about despising the toads in waste minster
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Yes and Yes as ex- RAF I wouldn't hesitate.
nadger
Rising Star

Obviously too old now but my generation were called up and went to places like Malaya, Korea and Kenya.
My 2 years were spent in UK - REME Instrument mechanic ( Sept 1953/55)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Which Country are you talking about? Scotland, Wales, England, Eire, the UKIP republic, the EU State or, some far off distant field in the Commonwealth whose name we long forgot? Or pehaps some dust bowl state that's an American Interest? And who would we fight? Them or each other? As for 'call up' papers, when this happens it means the ruling elite has already lost the war as conscription is moral bankruptcy - men die so cowards may live behind them.
So I will not answer your question in the simple words you demand, instead I will ask what are we fighting for, why are we fighting, what does victory guarantee and, will those young men die for what is right and just or, pay the ultimate price on behalf of the self interests of the status quo? Furthermore, as volunteers or objectors, we should not be judged to be "terrorists" by a Government committed to someone elses geopolitical agenda.
Who is the invader?
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool Which Country are you talking about? Scotland, Wales, England, Eire, the UKIP republic, the EU State or, some far off distant field in the Commonwealth whose name we long forgot? Or pehaps some dust bowl state that's an American Interest? And who would we fight? Them or each other? As for 'call up' papers, when this happens it means the ruling elite has already lost the war as conscription is moral bankruptcy - men die so cowards may live behind them.
So I will not answer your question in the simple words you demand, instead I will ask what are we fighting for, why are we fighting, what does victory guarantee and, will those young men die for what is right and just or, pay the ultimate price on behalf of the self interests of the status quo? Furthermore, as volunteers or objectors, we should not be judged to be "terrorists" by a Government committed to someone elses geopolitical agenda.
Who is the invader?

why would the invader matter ?
if people believed the same as you : that being voluntold for war duties = moral bankruptcy then every war so far was lost before it was fought, yet millions tipped there hat in order to defend the free world several times, hell if it wasn't for conscription style call ups we would all be doing the goosestep and speaking a different language .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Thunderclap
Who is the invader?
I Don't recall demanding an answer, I am not in a position to demand anything, I was simply asking.
It's worth bearing in mind that people in the armed forces have been, and still are involved in many conflicts across the world. I'm sure there were a number of soldiers involved in armed conflict with the IRA who might have felt we had no right to be there , same could be said of the Falklands or a number of other places but despite this they still fought or acted on behalf of the UK.
The question was hypothetical as it would have been silly to name a specific country.

gtowen
Rising Star

I think the question is a bit ambiguous
Question 1) can be answered with both a yes and no, yes if I agreed with the reason for the war, no I wouldn't volunteer if I disagreed.
Question 2) it's my understanding without a legal or health reason a person would have no choice otherwise they'd end up in prison and labelled a coward Sad
As to the final question, I think most people who are able would fight to defend their home, family and way of life.