cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you consider this to be a security risk...?

Fixes: 121

Would you consider this to be a security risk...?

I use several different bank's Mobile Apps for both my own and my mother's banking needs (Barclays, Barclaycard, Nationwide, Santander and Tesco).
Of these both Barclays and Barclaycard require you to log in again if you press the phone's home key or the screen times out.
With Santander and Nationwide there was no need to log in again even after waiting a minute from pressing the Home Key or screen timeout.
Tesco's you were still logged in up to 10 seconds after pressing the home key but had to log in again after screen timeout.
I always log out properly after doing whatever I require of the app but surely this could prove risky for those not so savvy? You get distracted or accidentally press the home key and put the phone down and someone else can access your accounts!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Would you consider this to be a security risk...?

I always think aggressive auto logout mechanism's are daft, fake security.
How many pass around their devices for other people to use like candy? especially after just using internet banking.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Would you consider this to be a security risk...?

To be honest i don't trust online banking anyway. I have used it in the past with previous accounts but i don't bother anymore as there are so many potential ways of your details being stolen online that i just don't want to take the risk. While most of us are aware of phishing and avoid it, DNS hijacking for example is a lot harder to spot.
As for auto logouts, i see that as an advantage however i can also see it being a pita. If you loose your phone or someone nicks it out of your pocket / bag etc, then you don't want your logged in banking session being abused! Then again.. i always keep my phone in my trouser pocket where i would feel it being removed and it has a pin protecting it (though what a usb cable could do to gain entry to the phone is unknown to me).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!