cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you consider a refurbished IPhone?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Would you consider a refurbished IPhone?

Wife is being leant on to buy an IPhone, say 7 version and some say it has to have more storage than the min 32 GB, more like 128, but we cannot imagine her being a large data user.

Either way that will be around £400 new against £200 refurbished. Is the chance worth taking?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would you consider a refurbished IPhone?

Hi  Luzern

I have purchased various laptops and mobile phones from http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/argos

They have come as new you could not tell the difference from new I may have been lucky but the purchase comes with a 12 month guarantee 

Brian A

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

All you can do is go with your own gut feelings. Personally I've never spent more than £200 on a mobile, brand new. But then I'm not into Iphones or expensive phones whatever make it is. While I'd agree some refurbs can look fine, you never really know the history of the device i.e. returned due to intermittent fault etc.

128Gb sounds a lot but then it depends on how many selfies the wife likes to take. 😁  My wife filled up 64Gb without too much effort and then wondered why the phone nearly became a brick.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

@Luzern 

I recently went through this exercise. I wanted a small phone and an Iphone SE fitted the bill. I looked at refurbished phones and found that the sellers were companies who did phone repairs. My main concern was the battery due to the cost of replacement. It occured to me that a refurbished phone might have sufficient battery life left to last the sellers guarantee period and/or be fitted with an aftermarket battery of unknown quality.

I then found that Iphones have a feature that measures the actual battery capacity as a percentage of life remaining compared with a new one. Some sellers on Ebay show a sceenshot of this display.

In the end I won an as new Iphone SE with 92% remaining battery capacity for a reasonable price. I am very pleased with it.

My plan B was to get one with unknown battery life but factor in the cost of a new battery fitted by Apple in my maximum bid.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I then found that Iphones have a feature that measures the actual battery capacity as a percentage of life remaining compared with a new one. Some sellers on Ebay show a sceenshot of this display.

In the end I won an as new Iphone SE with 92% remaining battery capacity for a reasonable price. I am very pleased with it.

Sounds a good apple idea but how would that show if it was a new aftermarket battery but had already fallen to 92%? Is there some sort of time / rate of fall sort of thing as well?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks phones have generally got too big. Great if it's your only online access otherwise I don't see the point in carrying a tablet sized monster around.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

@billnotben 

I have no way of definitely telling whether it has a genuine original battery except that the seller stated that it had only had one years use and the model I bought was not released until March 2017. Add to this the condition it seemed a risk worth taking.

The fact that a phone needs 'refurbishing' by a third party company suggests to me that it needs tinkering with to get it to a saleable condition. That doesn't mean of course that it's not been done competently and will last for years. Maybe to others refurbishment just means a factory reset?

As always, caveat emptor.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

"Refurbished" means it had a fault and a part has been changed.

I would trust more for Apple to do it, then it will come with a warranty. So if it is not how you like, you have some comeback on that.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Refurbished to some means it's just been physically cleaned, i.e. finger marks etc. removed (probably in addition to a factory reset). Wink

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I would and have bought refurbished products if supplied by Apple.

Have purchased several refurbished products from them. You get the Guarantee and the products I have received have been despatched in plain boxes against Branded. They look Brand New to be honest and sometimes you get the benefit of a higher spec than that advertised and paid for.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/iphone

other apple products refurbished

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern 

I was about to start a similar discussion myself!

My wife has a Windows 10 phone (sim only)which is very poweful with a great camera but lacks apps. That in itself is not a problem but potential loss of whatsapp is!

I am not a graet fan of Apple. High price, inability to add memory and eventually the OS cannot be upgraded. My wife does however have an iPad Air which she uses a lot and I am not sure that an Android phone will make her happy.

So back on topic.  I would not go further back than an iPhone 7 for a reasonable lifespan and 64Gb of memory is quite expensive.  Refurb/AsNew from a reliable supplier would seem to be the way to go. My only experience of this is a good friend buys these from o2 and has never had a problem. His spending power is rather greater than mine but he like a "deal" and seems happy with his purchases.

My own phone is a new Samsung a20e which is so good it will probably replace my ageing iPad for all practical purposes.

Let us know how you get on with your potential purchase!

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I have bought from mobiles.co.uk in the past and have been very happy. They state their phones are network provided and usually customer returns from the cooling off period. Some use a cashback model and some are straight discounts.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

As a result of this thread I have spent a fair bit of time this afternoonlooking into iPhone prices.  There does not seem to be much variation with a 7 32Gb  costing 379 and the 128Gb £50 more. It is a very nicely specced and engineered product and although the screen is on the relative small side it s very very sharp.  Buying via a two year contract, the phone element price is similar.

There are plenty of well specced Android phones for less than half Apples prices. If you want to know what time it is a Timex will be as accurate as a Rolex but.........!!

I will wait for Black Friday proper and buy my much loved wife the 7 32Gb. Sorted!

billnotben
Community Veteran

@TeeGee wrote:

If you want to know what time it is a Timex will be as accurate as a Rolex but.........!!

But there are some very nice Timex's and some very dodgy Rolex's.😉

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@billnotben   Aren't you getting confused with Lolex? The ones sold at knock down prices by sellers in China, we visited some years ago.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
billnotben
Community Veteran

No.

Like any other watch manufacturer Rolex make some right clonkers. All right if you like that style and all right if you think, like apple, it must be good if they're charging that much.