cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy these?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Would you buy these?

Just been looking on ebay for some 100w headlight bulbs for my new Skoda..... came across these....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-100W-Super-White-H7-501-Xenon-HID-Low-Side-HeadLight-Lamps-Bulbs-Kit...
At £4.91 for two 100w bulbs and two sidelight bulbs.... I thought.... BARGAIN !    Cheesy
Then I read the "blurb"  underneath it...

The greater quantity of light makes driving safer in Winter and makes your vehicle look good in the summer!

and further down...  to make sure I would get 4 bulbs for £4.91 ... reading the "spec" below... comes this line......

*Road Legal: These bulbs are NOT road legal

Must admit... I missed the line , a couple of lines above it... 

*Specification: Xenon superwhite off-road upgrade bulbs

but .... wonder how you are supposed to change them over, when using your car "off road"... or "on road".. ( in the dark ? ? ? ? ) 
15 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Would you buy these?

May explain why I keep getting blinded by cars as they may be using illegal lights.
Winter before last I was on a single track country road and I was at a bottom of a slope being blinded by a set of LED lights on a Range Rover. I stopped to let the Ranger Rover go but they wouldn't so had to drive seeing diddly-squat.
Community Veteran

Strangely, I asked my local motor factors, if 100 watt dipped lights were legal,.... and he said they were.... So .... seeing that bit about being "off road".. has made me wonder....
will ask my "tame mechanic" B.Sc. if he knows... when he comes on Friday to fit the reversing sensors.
itsme
Grafter

E-mark approval on a lamp basically means that it has been tested by an approved photometric laboratory and has achieved the standards laid down by the EC for fitment to a vehicle within the European Union. There are other regulations which apply in the UK, such as those for Construction and Use, but broadly speaking, vehicles registered from 1986 onwards are required to have e-marked lights if they are used on a public road. Given the fact that there could be insurance- or even legal implications if a vehicle without e-marked lights is involved in an accident, always follow the manufacturer or distributors guidelines when fitting & using styling lighting. Some lights, for instance, are not legal for road use, and if you do fit them to your car you assume all responsibility for any consequences thereof.
Community Veteran

Definitely not road legal in UK and also could overload or overheat wiring, holders and other lamp components, so not a good idea at all.  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
but .... wonder how you are supposed to change them over, when using your car "off road"... or "on road".. ( in the dark ? ? ? ? ) 

Go to Halfords Grin
On a serious point if these bulbs are illegal how do the vehicles pass an MOT Undecided
PowerLee
Rising Star

Have a look at the Philips X-treme Vision +130% bulb, the 130% version is new on the market.
I've been using the +100% version for a few years, they are expensive BUT there a quality bulb & you do notice the difference in useable light output.
The best thing is there fully E approved & road legal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
if these bulbs are illegal how do the vehicles pass an MOT Undecided
Probably not tested (it would be very difficult), the MOT doesn't cover everything.  Wink
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: shutter

Go to Halfords Grin
On a serious point if these bulbs are illegal how do the vehicles pass an MOT Undecided

Change them after MOT is done and revert back before MOT to pass like a lot of people probably do with X car components.
Or a dodgy garage  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Would these be better?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Nah... Not really.... they would clash with the colour scheme of the car, unfortunately... also they would make it less aerodynamic, so I would waste fuel ...  Cry
itsme
Grafter

Have to ask why some drivers need to get brighter lights, perhaps their eyesight is getting poorer? 
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
these

Hmm ... Acetylene.
Calcium Carbide required ...
Reminds me of something we used to partake in when we were kids if we could obtain some from the chemistry lab at school ...
Better not say what is was on here!
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Have to ask why some drivers need to get brighter lights, perhaps their eyesight is getting poorer? 

Some headlamps designs are known to have poor light output, a set of better bulbs is a cheaper upgrade to tide people over for there night time driving then replacing a car.
itsme
Grafter

If they are HID the following apply.
Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems.  Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.
The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.
If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

So I'm probably getting dazzled by owners fitting them in cars that have no cleaning or levelling systems.