Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy an electric car?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Would you buy an electric car?

Hi All
Would you buy an electric car?  Me Yes I would buy one!  But I cannot drive a car but I have fixed cars from 1950s to 1970s I yoost to work in a garage, I miss thos days.
48 REPLIES
community
Grafter

Re: Would you buy an electric car?

I would very much like to own and drive an electric car.
As a retired person with one wife, we drive only 3000 miles per year and need the car mainly for local trips,
I would be proud to kick out fossil fuel.
Community Veteran

yep.  love to have one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, but the technology is going to have to get more user friendly first.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
acr
Rising Star

At present the answer would have to be no.
1) The initial costs and running costs are much higher than diesel/petrol.
2) There are not enough 'charging points' available.
3) The amount of CO2 produced to create the electricity to charge the batteries hardly constitutes this as a 'green' alternative. The power generators would have to produce a much larger proportion of the country's electricity by wave/wind etc before I would consider it as 'green'.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they had a contest in Australia a car that had Solar panels on the roof ran an incredible long distance
This years Comp  http://www.wsc.org.au/welcome.html
Even Britain takes part  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071026193559.htm
and the car shown last week topped 100 MPH
Community Veteran

All though my answer is yes, it would not be one of the current generation ones due to the amount of fossil fuel that as to be used to keep them running. I do like the sound of Honda's hydrogen powered electric car currently being trialled in California and Japan.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can't see why we should get over enthusiastic if an electric car can top 100mph, its a speed that is illegal in most countries, a car that can maintain 70-80 mph economically (battery wise that is) and usefully accelerate out of trouble if required would be much more useful.
The infrastructure to use electric cars outside of urban areas will prove to be its undoing I suspect.
However the thought of not actually owning an electric car and using a pool arrangement, whereby you exchange your battery expired vehicle for a fully charged one en route might be a way to go.
But until the range on a fully charged battery issue is overcome, electric cars will in my opinion remain a bit of a pipe dream for some time to come. And of course the cost of the cars will have to come down dramatically, and probably a much heavier governmental inducement to get us to ditch our old petrol/oil fueled cars than is currently being proposed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could get one of these as an alternative  http://www.firebox.com/product/2166/Ego-Electric-Street-Scoota
firefly2
Grafter

I voted .. no .. because I cannot envisage that all of the problems will be eliminated for yonks..
also am wondering what type of cars will be manufactured..
I like to be high up and not cramped.. Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

MrC
Grafter

No. Not wishing to be negative but even a cursory look at the technologies involved in electricity generation, transmission and storage shows that mass produced electric vehicles are way over-hyped as a 'green' solution. The current media and political coverage smells a bit too strong of 'must be seen to be doing something' rather than a good hard look at what would actually be really effective.
Mike
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The substances used in batteries can involve some seriously nasty pollution in their mining/extraction etc
These almost certainly will take place in the third world though...
Sad

Community Veteran

Electric powered cars don't have to be battery cars. Have a look at Honda FCX Clarity.
MrC
Grafter

Sorry but hydrogen as a fuel, either burnt directly or used in a fuel cell, has major problems. Low energy density, small molecular size, production costs, storage and transmission/transport all weigh (sometimes literally!) against it. And then there's the optimum fuel cell sizing which means it might not always be operating at it's optimum efficiency (just like a traditional IC engine).
An interesting technology but a lot of smoke and mirrors again.
Mike