Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you Adam and Eve it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Would you Adam and Eve it.

Would you Adam and Eve it, I used to have the MGB manual version of one of these, and now look at the price of 'em!

124296431_3114256052008028_4724892606960415694_n.png

1968 MG Roadster MGC Auto

£24,950
Dealership Listed 14 weeks ago in Dorchester.

If only we'd known eh. 😒
Bit of a beast and engine far to heavy which is why (straight six if memory serves) they put a Rover V8 engine in it?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
32 REPLIES 32
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Would you Adam and Eve it.

The V8 version was never cheap and it seems to hold a good value. 

When we lived in Bromley there was a garage down the road which would have converted my '78 MGB Roadster but it was way too expensive.....

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If memory serves the MGB had the same engine as an old Marina GT I once had and as pictured the C version was the straight six.

I once had a lift in a mates MG Midget and the ride in my Morris 1000 at the time felt like a Rolls in comparison.

Amazing that they managed to fit a straight six in, Mind you they did the same with the Triumph Vitesse.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben

Must have been the Leyland version of the MGB as the Marina was much later?

Seem to recall the Midget had the same engine as the my old Austin A30 except they put twin SU carbs on it. How they mixed the two makes of car I can only wonder at.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@billnotben wrote:

Mind you they did the same with the Triumph Vitesse.

Plenty of room in the Triumph Herald for the straight 6 ... I had one   A 2 ltr vitesse 6 with overdrive... I remember going up the motorway  (A3M)   just after it opened. and managed to get it to 110 mph... then I got a bit scared so slowed down... loved that car... enjoyed every minute of it...but had to go, when the chassis got too expensive to weld up ... again... &  again...  !

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not a 'mine is bigger that yours' competition but.... 😉

My short lived (could never afford the petrol) Mark V111 Jaguar had a straight six three and half litre engine. Had to literally climb over it in order to reach reach the spark plug at the back. 

Beautiful car but it used to frighten the life out of me. 

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

@Minivanman wrote:

@billnotben

Seem to recall the Midget had the same engine as the my old Austin A30 except they put twin SU carbs on it. How they mixed the two makes of car I can only wonder at.

It was the same cylinder block but the original 800cc got stretched to first 1000cc then 1100cc. I had a Triumph Spitfire. That block came from the Standard 8, again it started life at 800cc and ended up through boring it out, increasing the stroke and reducing the crankshaft throw to 1500cc.

I totally rebuilt mine, the chassis was the same for the Spitfire, Herald, GT6 and Vitesse. It's only about 6 bolts plus the wiring etc. that stops you taking the body tub off a GT6 and replacing it with a Spitfire one if you want the extra poke and an open top. Personally I found that I could get enormous fun and frighten myself silly with my tuned Spitfire without needing the weighty 6 cylinder engine upsetting the balance of the car.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 185

bgt_side.png

This was my pride and joy 1974 BGT until recently. Had to sell it as arthritus in hands was making it painful to do any work on it and it needed constant TLC. B's are not worth anything like the price of C's though!

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Had a Rover 2200tc after a while had it resprayed and then a few weeks later wrote it off under the back of a NCB tipper wagon that pulled in front of me when doing about 60mph on a dual carriage way... got out with no injuries  apart from brown underpants but frightening...good carSadThumbs_Up

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Not a 'mine is bigger that yours' competition but.... 😉

My short lived (could never afford the petrol) Mark V111 Jaguar had a straight six three and half litre engine. Had to literally climb over it in order to reach reach the spark plug at the back. 

Beautiful car but it used to frighten the life out of me. 

I remember a friend/neighbour who was a couple of years older than me, who'd left school and was 'earning', bought an old Jag as his first car.  ISTR it was a MK2, but I don't remember the engine size.

He said he got it cheap but I wouldn't mind betting that one of the reasons for that was because of its 'thirstiness'.

I recall him boasting that it had two petrol tanks but I can't remember how much he said they held.

I don't think he kept his for long either, probably for the same 'affordability' reason.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Yeh, mine had twin tanks but the MK2 was 2 litre I think so not sure it would have needed the same - very popular motor with London villains at one time.... apparently. 😎

@MisterW 

Nice.

Not seen a MGC for years and they must be pretty rare hence that price. I think a fair few must have been pranged though as they used to oversteer (or understeer, get those mixed up) because the weight of that engine. Did they make that many? 

Nearly bought an BGT but the need of a mortgage was greater at time - it was a close call though! 

@TTman 

Always had a hankering for the Rover 3.5S, the one with a manual gearbox? Mate of mine bought one and turned me green with envy. They must be worth a few bob now as well but again as above, you don't see many of them.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 185

@Minivanman  I think a fair few must have been pranged though as they used to oversteer (or understeer, get those mixed up) because the weight of that engine.

Yes, they just had a tendency to ignore any steering wheel movement, and go straight on...

Champnet
Champion

Understeer is what happens just before the driver breaks into a cold sweat, immediately followed by total panic....

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@RobPN wrote:

I recall him boasting that it had two petrol tanks...

Can't remember what the car was, but anyway -

When I was 15 I had a Saturday job at a small garage, selling petrol, oil, paraffin etc.

Guy in a sports jacket, cravat, the works arrives and says "Fill 'er up", then wanders into the shop. Comes back just in time to see petrol flowing down the gutter.

Well how was I to know it had two filler caps, two pipes, but only one tank?  🙄

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Champnet
Champion

I was told the Triumph Herald I owned in the early 70’s had a reserve petrol tank. So when the gauge showed empty the first time I wasn’t bothered, only when the car stopped. After a long walk to a garage for petrol the attendant told me I should have moved a lever on the tank....