Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this Spook you ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Would this Spook you ?

UK government plans to track ALL web use: MI5 to install 'black box' spy devices to monitor British internet traffic
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2274388/MI5-install-black-box-spy-devices-monitor-UK-...
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Would this Spook you ?

Well it doesn't thrill me thats for sure.
I see a future where more and more people will use TOR while others will simply use neighbours wifi etc. You have to wonder if its even worth using the internet anymore.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I hope they enjoy looking at an encrypted stream. If this goes ahead then I will be routing everything through a VPS somewhere else.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

An interesting article..... 
as usual, the government has couched its "terms and conditions" in flowery wording designed to distract from the real meanings to how the "agencies" will operate...
The use of the word "agencies" itself is part of the deception... no specific "agency" is given the right, or responsibility.  Therefore, it follows that it will not necessarily be "Governement"  Agencies doing the snooping...  E.G. I could set myself up as a Freelance Investigative Agency, and demand the same rights and access as the "legit" agencies, whoever they may be, on the same grounds as them, because I am doing the same kind of work as them...i.e. "Investigating" something/someone or other for another "agency"...
the last line of the article should give much concern to all....

The next two paragraphs were completely blanked out.

WHY ? What was contained in them.....? damaging evidence of "Totalitarian State Interference of Private Information"...
If this goes ahead.... will our "snail mail" also be opened before delivery? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is it just the pose? Does Jonathan Evans resemble 'Bob Flag' (big brother)
Community Veteran

For example, while the email addresses of senders and recipients would be available to agencies, they would still need to obtain a court order for access to the contents of the emails.
A similar situation would apply in the case of mobile phone calls, with the callers' identities and locations available to agencies, along with the time of the call and its duration, but agents restricted from listening without authorisation from the courts.

And is anyone confidence that "agencies" would abide by that. Or would they look at anything they like and get a court order afterwards.
If MP's and the like don't get some sort of written exemption from snooping I very much doubt it will ever happen.
Community Veteran

I have no problem with MI5 rooting through my data, but I'd be extremely annoyed if those powers were extended to allow my local council or HMRC to access my data without a court order. MI5 has a valid security reason, but most of the other rag tag of Gov't departments/Qangos have not business with my personal transactions unless I've done something criminal.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

All of which are covered by the word "agencies"..........
Community Veteran

This is worrying!! Angry
I know how these government agencies work. A lady I know works for the local tax office. She tells me how much I earn,and others I know. So the security of these agencies is totally dependent on the integrity of the staff.
This just gives an open door policy to everyone who wants access and has a 'friend' in the government agency. Angry