cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Put Your Father

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Would You Put Your Father

On youtube to prove a point and make a case that your father is ill with a neurological condition which affects his mobility? and was declined a stairlift?  that is what someone has done in the city of Dundee. Put up a 30 second clip of the poor bloke on his knees climbing up a set of stairs. To make a point or not I certainly would never ever never put my father ( if he was still alive ) through this humility.
A Dundee woman who shared heart-breaking video of her disabled dad struggling to climb a set of stairs says she hopes the public reaction will bring about the help he needs.
Lucy Fraser filmed dad, Gordon, who suffers from a neurological condition which affects his mobility, crawling up the stairs of her Dundee home after being refused permission to install a stair-lift.
The mother-of-one was left horrified by her dad’s struggle and decided to film the 73-year-old in an attempt to publicise his plight.
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Would You Put Your Father

Absolutely not!
There must be many other ways to get your point across but certainly not like this.
One thing, though, did the father give his consent and, if so, did he really know what he was consenting to?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Mav
There must be many other ways to get your point across but certainly not like this.

I agree. For one, I'd be speaking to my Doctor to ask for written proof from an expert to prove my Father's condition justified the installation of the stair lift, not humiliating him on Youtube for the World to see. Sorry but that proves nothing.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Not to sure about that mav but even if he did, you could perhaps take the video to the relevant department and make them watch it without putting it on you tube for all the public to witness.

It also doesn't say why he was refused a stairlift.
Was it a funding issue or was it due to safety.
When we investigated getting a stair lift for my mother around 6 years ago it was decided (by two separate companies) that, because of the tight turn at the top of the stairs and the closeness of the bathroom door to the top of the stairs, any stairlift would be dangerous for my mum to use especially when alone in the house.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

As the article said refuse permission to install it either a listed building or they do not own the property.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

A report suggests he wasn't suitable for a stairlift because a 10 year old child also lives there and it could pose a health and safety hazard. Not sure how true it is.

A bit more here.
We got round the stairlift issue by having a bedroom (with wetroom) built adjacent to the dining room but that may not be an option in this case.

itsme
Grafter

Strange decision as I've seen stair lifts fitted to.communal stairs in flats and to outside steel stairs to a flat. Neither had signs disallowing children to use the stairs.
Community Veteran

In England under the care Act a stair lift would be fitted. Maybe there are different rules in Scotland, There is also the question that has to be asked as to if the man would be better off in a care home. Hew could be looked after 24/7 then.

Finding a decent care home is a minefield.
Forgot how many I viewed when trying to find one for my dad in 2010. Even when I did find one leaving my dad there was one heck of a wrench Cry

Community Veteran

All care homes are now inspected by the CQC.This is not perfect but better than it used to be. In my area 2 large homes have been closed in the past 6 months. One has now been allowed to reopen but is subject to extra inspection.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It amazes me that the government/councils talk about providing accommodation for the elderly and then put them in flats that require a lift to reach them, there are a lot of new properties being built near us, 4,5 bedrooms but not a single bungalow, of course the reason is money, at one time builders were forced to build a mixture of properties but clearly this does not apply now.
As for the CQC, I am sure most of them do the job to the best of their ability but they can never really know how residents are really treated when they are not there and some places which have been considered good by the CQC have been shown to be bad by relatives who have placed hidden cameras in bedrooms or reporters who have taken jobs as care assistants.
To answer the OP, no I would not have taken that course of action but I suspect showing it to the appropriate body would be unlikely to work as they would just fobb you off with stuff like you had no right to film that or some other lines so I can understand why she took the action she did but accept it was wrong.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: M
A report suggests he wasn't suitable for a stairlift because a 10 year old child also lives there and it could pose a health and safety hazard. Not sure how true it is.

Two links about children and stair lift safety here and here.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.