Would Upgrading from a ExperiaX10 Mini to a Huawei-Ascend be a good choic

TORPC
Grafter

Would Upgrading from a ExperiaX10 Mini to a Huawei-Ascend be a good choic

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Would Upgrading from a ExperiaX10 Mini to a Huawei-Ascend be a good choic

It depends on how you want to use it. The ascend has a better processor (ignore the fact that they are not a popular brand, these guys make dongles etc for mobile broadband, and they are considered throughout the world as reliable). However the ascend had a pretty average, or below average camera. Though again the MP has too much emphasis,a lot depends on the quality of the lens. A shabby lens with a high MP would only give you crappy photos that you could enlarge...So you could see your crappy  photos bigger without pixelation.
So if you want to take good photos, the Xperia had a flash, check out the lens on both. If it's talk and messaging go for the ascend. They are likely to have better control over reception.
I personally have an Acer Liquid, totally unfashionable. It got slated for its appearance. Yet, is the best phone I've ever had.  Acer make computers..and a mobile phone is now nothing more than a tiny computer. Processor, human interface and display. Tough choice to make. Good luck.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers doris
It's primary use it to make / receive calls, & also to use apps like Step counter/  WiFi Analyzer / Team-viewer / Speed tester & other support related apps
The occasional photo but vary rare on a phone tbh
Check emails (rarely) & only when required when out & about, as the tablet would normaly take precedence for that but not carried daily Wink
TORPC
Grafter

FCC Info on the  Huawei-Ascend Y330 for those that may be interested Wink
[quote= https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=169378&fcc_id=QISY330-U15]OET Exhibits List
13 Matches found for FCC ID QISY330-U15
View Attachment Exhibit Type Date Submitted to FCC Display Type Date Available
Condifentiality letter.pdf Cover Letter(s) 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
Declaration of electrically identical products.pdf Cover Letter(s) 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
ExternalPhotos.pdf External Photos 04/11/2014 pdf 08/30/2014
Declaration Letter for labels.pdf ID Label/Location Info 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
Label.pdf ID Label/Location Info 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
Internal Photos of HUAWEI Y330-U15.pdf Internal Photos 04/11/2014 pdf 08/30/2014
SARReport_Part1.pdf RF Exposure Info 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
SARReport_Part2.pdf RF Exposure Info 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
TestReport.pdf Test Report 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
TestReport_Annex.pdf Test Report 04/11/2014 pdf 04/11/2014
SARReport_Photos.pdf Test Setup Photos 04/11/2014 pdf 08/30/2014
TestSetupPhotos.pdf Test Setup Photos 04/11/2014 pdf 08/30/2014
UserManual.pdf Users Manual 04/11/2014 pdf 08/30/2014
I find interesting that it has dual sim, when reading the UserManual.pdf linked to the FCC, however the phonearena review makes no reference to it (unless I inadvertently missed it)
TORPC
Grafter

My mind as been made up for me & seems like I had no say in the matter......... Yet I feel so blessed @ the same time  Cool
Purchased by my oldest & her Boyfriend, as a thank you for helping them move into their new flat
I knew there was a reason for the sniggerish behaviour behind my back the past couple of days (nought new, so should of twigged on that they were up to something) Tongue
As  I now have in my possession (you guessed it) a brand new shiny Huawei-Ascend Y330,, with most of my apps from the app store (I guess SWMBO had something to do with that as she knows my login details) new Voda Number but am using my old sim, so no importing of contacts etc required as with the Tablet on the Three sim.
At 1st use it is very responsive to the touch, setting Wireless was a breeze, thanks to the Tablet I had started getting used to a non physical Keyboard
The software called Hi Suite was also a breeze to install, & has an option to connect via WiFi or USB
Screenshot mode (greyed out) seems to only work on a USB connection

If only I either waited or had this software, yesterday, might of save an headache with the contacts for the Tablet Sim. (Now we will never know)  Hindsight strikes again Tongue
Most of the Apps are stored on a 8GB SD card, by the Stock "App Master" App, & will be upgrading to a 32GB later on & been put into categories IE: folders
Remember when I enquired about a Bluetooth to Bluetooth headset for music / screen reader etc, there is one installed, apparently not stock called "Mono Bluetooth" will test & see how it goes
Installing music is a breeze, also has an option for adding from iTunes
Apparently
Facebook / Twitter & a few Stock Apps were removed. quite successfully
https://adblockplus.org/en/android has been sideloaded without root (will see how affective it is)
System Apps like Google Play Books / Drive / Google+ / Google Play Games & Youtube are embedded & can not be installed without root
Sim Toolkit
Keeps asking to "Please Insert Sim card"  Yet a Sim is Inserted & working as well as can be expected (Does this only work when 2 Sims are inserted ) ?Huh
That said it works on the Experia with only 1 card & brings up a menu list  of My Vodafone+ aswell as other useless links
I also notice that there is an App called Step Counter Free (Anyone wonder what the message here is)  Tongue Wink
All puns accepted Tongue
There are 112 yes that is correct 112 Stock System Apps some of which are quite large & will most likely require root to uninstall

EMUI ROM

Takes me to a http://www.emui.com/plugin.php?id=hwdownload (Make sure your translator is not late for work) Tongue
Scroll down & choose see more for a long list of models covered
Couldn't see one for me but a quick look shows some that have been updated since their original released date(s)
Even the Calander tells you when the Daylight Savings are due to end  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

How do you get on with Swype? I find I now fly along with texting, much quicker than anything else I have used.
A point to note, when I went in the three shop to see about getting a Huawei Ascend P2 (unsuccessfully, they stopped stocking it a couple of weeks before) I was informed that it's not pronounced 'hoo-way'  but 'yoohoo'. Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

but it's not cheaply put together. It'll survive a drop or two

Comments like that always make me nervous!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: doris
I was informed that it's not pronounced 'hoo-way'  but 'yoohoo'. Cheesy

Actually it's 'wah-way'...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGAqvpYLiGw#t=16
Community Veteran

I thought it was 'hue-a-way'
Fifer
Grafter

I have a Huawei Y300, free on a Talkmobile contract, never had any problems after using it for 1 year
Yes, it is pronounced---- Wah-way
Ron
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Hue-wee
I could do with a new phone.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: doris
How do you get on with Swype? I find I now fly along with texting, much quicker than anything else I have used.
A point to note, when I went in the three shop to see about getting a Huawei Ascend P2 (unsuccessfully, they stopped stocking it a couple of weeks before) I was informed that it's not pronounced 'hoo-way'  but 'yoohoo'. Cheesy

It's early day(s) & still adapting,
That said it's far better, than what I have been used to
For members that do not know or have not heard of Swype
[quote= http://www.swype.com/]With one continuous motion across the screen, Swype's patented technology enables users to input words faster and easier than other data input methods at over 40 words per minute.
Also available for the iPhone &  iPad / iOS / Symbian / Windows 7 / Meego
(Not Supported / Windows Phone)

Quote from: 7up

Why would that make you nervous, for a cheap phone, I can confirm,that it it very sturdy, & not bannered  in my pocket, I am not going to do a drop test either, but suspect it will survive quite well in the likely event that I may drop it in the future (all other phones I have had have been as equally sturdy & survived more than a few dropped over the years)
It's nice to see the different attempts @Pronunciation Smiley
I have always pronounced it as
Hew - aye - Wee
Quote from: 11110_110
<snip>
I could do with a new phone.

Yikes, what happened there..... ?Huh
If you eligible for an upgrade from CPW[quote= http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-as-you-go/upgrades]Am I eligible to upgrade?
It must have been more than 6 months since you purchased your phone or last upgraded on your network. You can currently only upgrade on O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone and Virgin networks.
What networks don't we offer on Pay as you go upgrade?
Currently we don't offer upgrades on TalkMobile.

Why bother with an expensive phone, when, for £30 you cant go wrong & apparently they (DO NOT need your old phone in the process)
That said they do offer a Trade in,
[quote= http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{30ec58c0-d5eb-11de-e56d-000000000000}]Follow these steps to request a Trade in today
Submit your Trade in request online on our trade in site.
You'll need your item's IMEI/serial number, here's how you find it.
We'll send you a pre-addressed, 1st class postage paid package the same/next working day.
Post your Trade in item to us in the package.
When we receive your item we'll send you a cheque, this will take up to 5 working days. If you haven't received your cheque in this time, please call 0870 087 0168^
Other ways to Trade in
In store
Bring your item into any Carphone Warehouse store.
We'll value it in store and you'll be paid via instant bank transfer, so you can take your Trade in amount off whatever you buy. So if you see a tablet in store for £70 and we value your item at £20, you'll only pay £50!
[quote= http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{9f493000-e3f5-11de-e56d-000000000000}]What condition does my item have to be in to be eligible for Trade in?
Because your item is going to be starting a new life, it's important it's in reasonable condition...
Although normal wear and tear is fine, the exact details of what we can accept are below:
To Trade in a phone it must... What does this mean exactly?
Have its battery This must be inside your device when you send it
Be able to charge when connected to the charger Without any error message being displayed
Be able to power on and off Without any error message being displayed
Be in good visual condition with no physical damage
The screen and camera lens mustn't be cracked or damaged
The phone casing shouldn't be cracked or have any parts missing
Have all its features in good working condition The volume, power, navigation button/track pad, home button, screen and keys must all be in place.
It must function without being connected to the charger.
The software operates correctly.
All the characters and images must display clearly as intended on the screen.
Have no evidence of liquid damage
We can't accept phones with any sign of liquid damage. If you're not sure if it has liquid damage, look at the indicators inside the phone - if they've gone pink, it has.
What do I need to send you?
Although you must include the battery, there's no need to send us the box, the receipt, any of the cables, chargers or other accessories that came with your product.
Although CPW is named
Other Stores are available (now limited, in availability though)
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Quote from: 7up

Why would that make you nervous

Bercause most of us drop our phones a lot more than that during its lifetime. IF it can only handle a drop or two then.. well .. it won't live too long will it.  Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

Well,
When you put it like that, what can one say Tongue
Community Veteran

You miss the point... I didn't put it like that. THEY did.