cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst ISP

Rikaitch
Grafter

Worst ISP

We all know (or at least guess) who's the best provider, but who's the worst. I'd like to cast my vote early for Sky, who say it's free, when you have to buy the router. You have to use their overheating hardware, you have to comply to their badly worded contract, and you have to put up with their fake speeds.
10 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Worst ISP

It depends on different aspects of the provider.
For example, Demon were originally technically excellent with a very knowledgeable/helpful support team - bit like PlusNet! They grew, the founder sold out to a much bigger comms company.
Then the support function was outsorced to India.
If the answer wasn't in the standard script - then forget it! They still have a few good UK technical staff, so it continues to function for the time being. They are currently trying to find someone to buy Demon - but no-one seems to want them!

pcoventry76
Grafter

I had Sky Connect @ £5 a month and to be honest it was an IPstream product with 40GB Cap, i got the same speeds as i do now so i can't really fault it - although i don't have any experience of the 2GB Base product which is the one i assume your talking about
however sky's TS is hard to get through to especially if you do not want to ring a 0870 number.
AOL is also very bad all support is in india which is a waste of time anyway
Pipex, overcharged and under delivered, charged my dad £34,99 for a 2MB product until i put a stop to it - and i believe he is now coming onto PlusNet

James
Grafter

I don't think I'm allowed to answer this question Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

The problem is there are so many bad ISP's out there, i wouldn't really know where to start.
I am just very very glad i made the smart choice
Community Veteran

The answer is very subjective because it depends on your experiences with them and in many cases how they are (rightly or wrongly) reported in the press.
I know someone who has had zero problems with one apparently bad ISP, seen good speeds, not had any problems with the connection yet another friend had the same ISP and had no end of issues.
Some problems are down to the way ADSL is implemented in this country where the coper wires vary considerably with distance from the exchange. Port wiring and long distances often result is unreliable connections and this would have been the case whatever ISP they you are with. Often people have gone with the cheaper end of the market with ISPs that can't really handle problems which just makes the situation worse.
So in a nut shell, what an individual may experience with an ISP is not always the ISPs fault and the longer you are from the exchange the more likely you will have problems. How ISPs deal with those problems is what separates them but again, even the best ISPs get things wrong.
pcoventry76
Grafter

A good expample is Bulldog, i never had a problem with their service. it was the customer support and indeed when i left the fact they haven't to this day cut my line off - and are still trying to bill me.
it is unfair for 1 person to state an ISP is rotten, if however 10,000 people say the same there has to be something in it.
Community Veteran

charged my dad £34,99 for a 2MB product until i put a stop to it - and i believe he is now coming onto PlusNet

Hopefully you're getting the referral value Pete Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

Ofcourse! - i've already sent the referal  Grin
Community Veteran

Bad ISP’s (shudders)

Orange Slow Service
AOL      Horrendous Customer  Support
Sky     Incomprehensible Help Lines
Tiscali Terrible Email Servers

That is certainly my initial thoughts  Roll eyes
Thankfully I dont have to use them, just sort the mess out for other people!
pcoventry76
Grafter

i agree