cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wormery

bertie123
Dabbler

Wormery

Hello i know someone will know the answer to this, can you put meat and fish in a wormery?
11 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Wormery

can you put meat and fish in a wormery?

Annette you know that worms are for catching fish. (By the way you are not showing your age in your profile).
Am I showing mine?
bertie123
Dabbler

Well you know what they say a Lady never tells her age    Cheesy
I like to do things differently so think cannibal worms would be good !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder which "someone" you are thinking of? Why didn't you just PM him.
Edit: If you don't know who I mean try http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4628
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm not Liam, but I am an enthusiastic wormery user (Although it ain't getting fed much since I replenishied the chickens in my garden!). In small quantities cooked scraps are certainly no problem in mine, but I don't reckon you wanna be putting stuff that could go mouldy / get infested in there and I think uncooked meat and fish in any quantity would be a bad idea.
Liam I am sure can give you a better answer, but I have to say mine hasn't struggled with much and it's probably no big deal to try stuff and learn when it goes wrong. New worms are preety cheap :-)
Ian
bertie123
Dabbler

Cheers Ian, i am trying to decide if to get a Wormery or a Boksashi bucket because you can put dairy, cooked meat and fish into them.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Shouldn't the main ingredient be worms?

Community Veteran

No the worms are just for processing the waste material.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Do you give your worms names,  Huh Roll eyes Huh like that kid on the telly advert  Huh Roll eyes
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Annette,
Something from a history lesson just popped up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms
pierre_pierre
Grafter

be careful with your worms, they might bite.
You dont use common or garden worms, your use TIGER worms  Cool
Roll eyes
LiamM
Grafter

Haha... this is hilarious.
There are some people out there who would be religious about never putting any meat or fish into a Wormery.  Techincally, in moderation, both should be fine.  The worms will munch their way through both quite happily.
We do generally advise to avoid fish simply because it is very strong smelling as it breaks down.  And we advise against meat in large quantities too.  If you are putting meat in, we would advise covering it in veg or putting the meat below the most recent waste.  We also advise against bones, though if you do put bones in - you will get bones out (in the compost) and certainly we would advise against uncooked meat / fish as Ian suggests.
Bokashi Buckets will indeed take fish and meat as well as dairy products, and that works by adding Bokashi Bran which has been fermented with Effective Micro-Organisms, Mollasses and the like.  Every time you add waste, you sprinkle some of the Bran which helps to break down the waste and ferment the waste (you'll get white mould on it). 
However, you don't get the same output (i.e. a final potting compost).  With the output from the Bokashi Bin, it is best transferred into a Garden Composter, Wormery (with little else added) or simply dug into the soil as a conditioner - but you can't use it directly as a compost when extracted from the bucket.  It does need 'finishing off'.  You obviously need to continue replenishing your supply of Bran also.
I hope that helps?