cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World's Fattest Man

Community Veteran

World's Fattest Man

Apparently there was a programme on TV in the week about a man who once weighed 70 stones.  How obscene can this be.  I've heard on the radio today that the man is to sue the NHS for failing to provide the right advice to treat his condition. The best advice he could have been given was to stop eating Sad
The NHS has been spending £100,000 a year on him and up to 2009 the total reached over £1M.  I can think of better ways to spend £1M.
World's Fattest Man
9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: World's Fattest Man

you forgot this bit
Paul Mason, 50, received life-saving gastric surgery in 2009 which reduced his weight to a comparitively small 37 stone but he claims he was not given the right medical advice before it became to late.
The former postman, who ­consumed 20,000 calories a day, eight times as much as the average man, said he sought help from his GP after ballooning to 30 stone.

the program showed his helper recently passing a family sized meal to him, she is just as much responsible for feeding him, think the article was on look east BBC a couple of nights ago, he comes from the Ipswich area
N/A

He is obviously an exhibitionist as he has allowed himself to be filmed in all his glory so to speak.  Probably he revels in his notoriety and this statement is just designed to attract more attention to himself.
When people are as huge as he is they are usually totally immobile so I agree that the carers are just as guilty of perpetuating this problem by bringing him large amounts of food.  If they did not do this he would have to starve and thereby reduce weight naturally - well, at least until he could walk to the shops! 
Beats me how they can afford it - benefits must be far too high if they can support this kind of gluttony.
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you there Poppy.  It's a disgrace that he is allowed to get to such a weight and then have the audacity to want to sue the NHS.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this program was on Chan 4 last Wednesday the 5th it was made in 2005, before his operation, Chan 4 has been broadcasting this program about once a month for ages it will be repeated
DOCUMENTARY: Inside Britain's Fattest Man
On: Channel 4    Date: Monday 10th January 2011
Time: 23:05 to 00:10
Paul Mason is one of the world's fattest men. But unlike previous stories of the American super obese, Paul is Britain's fattest man. Estimated to be around 70 stone, the 49-year-old's addiction to food has changed his life forever. He's been bed bound for the best part of a decade, disowned by his family, and turned down for the only thing that can save him: an operation to staple his stomach. Unable to look after himself and imprisoned in his own home, Paul's care package is costing the Department of Social Services a massive £2,000 a week, and the authorities agree to review his case. Doctors have given Paul just a few years to live, so for him the op is his one and only hope, not just of staying alive, but of fulfilling his ultimate dream...to walk again. Filmed for over a year, this documentary follows Paul's incredible journey.
(Repeat, Subtitles, 2005)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

To be honest I think we can all safely say we like our food but we all know when to stop (ish).
Eating to that kind of extreme is a selfish act. To then expect the rest of society to support you for it afterwards is just plain wrong. I watched this show and he cried when he found his care budget had been cut. How long had he already had it for? How long could he have been dieting for? How much less could he have been costing?
I'm sorry but people like that don't deserve sympathy. Someone who is 18 stone and fat maybe but then they've at least stopped themselves getting any bigger and thus are not such a burden. At 70 stone you should be ashamed when you're costing society so much.
I wonder how many inhalers could of been provided to sick children for that cost.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Gastric band operations is one treatment that some health authorities will not be providing in the future.
jmd
Grafter

I saw the trailers for the programme and found it was disgusting that they should even film him.  No doubt he got paid for being filmed too.  How can the nhs justify continuing to support his greed?
I do not think that he should receive so much in benefits and care.  As said before, if he had to look after himself then he would have to wobble off some of the weight by getting out and about.
There is overweight and there is overweight.  Surely he cannot blame nhs for his greed and weight.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They spend all this money on one person but other people are being refused treatment for cancer and other illnesses because they are too expensive.
Imagine how you would feel to see this bloke getting all this help whilst either yourself or a family member was refused medication on the grounds it was too expensive.
It's worth noting that he was in hospital for a few weeks before the operation and put on a 500 calorie diet, as a result he lost several stone PRIOR to the operation.
Community Veteran

And I think that shows the solution was in his hands all along - stop eating Angry