cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Cup

Community Veteran

World Cup

I'm surprised we haven't got a thread to celebrate England's performance in the World Cup.

I'm not a football fan but I did watch our match yesterday against Sweden. Our lads played so well, congratulations on such a good winSmiley

Our performance has had a very positive effect throughout the whole country with a real feel-good factor very evident. Just a pity a few idiots had to spoil it.

Good luck in the next roundSmiley

29 REPLIES
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: World Cup

I normally only watch England but I've really got into this world cup and have watched all the teams that we were likely to meet as we progress.

It's good to see players who actually look like they want to play for their country instead of giving the impression it's pain in the butt! Garth Southgate has done amazingly whatever the outcome of Wednesdays match, and the good thing is it's a young team with years ahead of them plus we have a number of even younger players doing well.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Vandals!

Idiots!

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

So sad to see a few idiots behaving like this. Let's hope they are identified and prosecuted.  Fortunately the World Cup has brought so much positivity and really lifted the spirits of the Nation - even among those of us not normally supporting the game.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

I don't think you'll find many Scots, Irish or Welsh will share your viewpoint.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Several Scottish people have 'come out' in the media in support of the England team.  I would certainly support one of the other home teams if we weren't there.  I'd support Wales just for the national anthem, the best one in the British Isles (the world?), and they all seem to know the words.

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Politics,World Cup and heatwave seem to making us insaner, if this is anything to go by.

The local academy is staging a lower years' production timed 7.00pm on Wednesday. They've just retimed it to 5.30pm. so kids in it will be home in time to watch the match. I'm not sure all the audience will be in time to watch the performance with the current traffic conditions.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Aldi to give all its staff the afternoon off if England reach World Cup final on Sunday.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/aldi-give-staff-afternoon-england-12886396

It's not like there will be many customers....

Other supermarkets & shops to follow no doubt.

I don't follow football, but I did watch the lacklustre England v Sweden game

And probably the Final on Sunday

I've worked on literally hundreds of live football matches, from local all the way up to International level.

Working on the touchline, post match interviews, mostly commentary positions with all the great commentators , studio etc, plus outside broadcast sound mixing for SKY & BBC, many many matches.

David Beckham is great, always has time to say hello..... Sir Alex too, if you don't get in his way, and away from the pitch.

After many years, they get to recognise you.

Special treats .... go anywhere passes, spending time in Man U Trophy room (and others) and various boxes.

My previous GP, before we moved, was the official Man U Doctor, saw him many times at matches.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

3 lions.jpg

Luzern
All Star

I thought The Lions was a rugby club!Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

A Three Lions video celebrating children with Down's syndrome has been praised by David Baddiel.

Ahead of England's World Cup semi-final against Croatia, the comedian and song's co-writer tweeted: "I have to be honest.

This is the first version straightforwardly to make me cry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-44794186/three-lions-david-baddiel-mo...

http://www.wouldntchangeathing.org/

Community Veteran

We're coming home!

We played well and gave a good account of ourselves but our dream is over.

Congratulations to Gareth Southgate and all the team on a good tournament.

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

Usually we come home with our tails between our legs looking how to rebuild for the future, but this team laid a solid foundation.

I know football isn't everyone cup of tea (and I only watch England), each to their own, but I see a very good few years ahead and it was a refreshing change to see players who actually looked like they want to be playing for their country. Still a lot to learn but no prima donnas and I'm sure they will grow and mature.

Luzern
All Star

For any team to get as far is a worthy achievement, so from a non sports person, a healthy well done!Thumbs Up

It is a wonder though in our febrile political climate, that no one has blamed May for our loss.

Perhaps, because it is July?Funny

Community Veteran

And there was a tremendous feelgood factor everywhere.
Pity some fools spoiled it with their behaviour.

Also it has to be said that Russia has
been a very good host so far in all aspects.