cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Cup

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

World Cup

Since I am not a fan of football and never have been apart from a few weeks when members of the band I was playing in at the time gathered on a Sunday afternoon to watch Match of the Day, I very quickly found something else to do.
But though, I'm rather surprised there has been no mention all day of England's beating by Uruguay last night on this forum.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: World Cup

or the fact that they are now out of the World Cup as Costa Rica beat Italy
Fixes: 104

too busy crying into my beer Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Surely one of the number of football fans on this forum can tell us why, a team largely made up of some of the most over-hyped over paid players in the world can become the first ever to be eliminated in the first two games <or at least that's what was said on the ITV news just before 7O'clock>
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

because they didn't win Wink
here's a good article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10914998/World-Cup-2014-England-can-claim-so...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Petlew
Surely one of the number of football fans on this forum can tell us why, a team largely made up of some of the most over-hyped over paid players in the world can become the first ever to be eliminated in the first two games <or at least that's what was said on the ITV news just before 7O'clock>

Rhetorical question Lips are sealed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well at least they will be in good company on the plane back - the Spanish must be asking much the same questions, and, if they play against Uruguay like they played against Costa Rica, so will the Italians  Shocked
PitchBlack
Grafter

England played very well against Italy, but lost to a better team. All the hype over Rooney being played out of position made Hodgson build the team around Rooney against Uruguay. As usual, Rooney was out of his depth on the world stage and the rest of the team suffered because woy didn't have the bottle to drop Rooney. Sterling, our best player against Italy was subbed as a result, Gerrard had to play too far forward to cover Rooney, Hodgson should have stuck to the formation that played Italy, but put Lallana in and dropped Rooney.
All in all a pretty piss poor effort against Uruguay, the game against Italy gave the whole nation (apart from the non football fans) hope, but woy had to meddle and turn England into the team of no hope, no heart, no pride, no skill, non patriotic losers of old.
On the bright side though, now Costa Rica beat Italy, my nights are free again and I don't have to watch the stupid soccer Wink
Community Veteran

The game against Uruguay was lost when the national anthem were played. All the Uruguayan players sang the their hearts out to their  anthem compared to the England players who did not (Gerrard and Hart excepted)
Fixes: 125

Hasn't that always been the case?
Every other country seems proud to sing their National Anthem except England Angry
Perhaps they don't get paid for singing it  Tongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PitchBlack
Grafter

Maybe this has something to do with it

-__JQ
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Make of this what you will
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4126112.ece (pay walled)
Players told to abstain from the other beautiful game
Sex allowed
England, Italy, Switzerland, Uruguay, Australia, US
Banned
Chile, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Germany, Ghana, Spain and South Korea
Conditional
France (yes, but not all night), Brazil (yes, but no acrobatics), Costa Rica (not until the second round), and Nigeria (only with the wife)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Lost the rugby too Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oddball
The game against Uruguay was lost when the national anthem were played. All the Uruguayan players sang the their hearts out to their  anthem compared to the England players who did not (Gerrard and Hart excepted)

But didn't the manager insist that they all take part in sings the National Anthem Undecided
Community Veteran

Perhaps we would have done a lot better if we could have fielded an all immigrant team.
Sometimes I think the England team selectors pick "celeb" footballers instead of the best players.