Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Working from home

Anyone know if there are any insurance implications to your house insurance when working from home,for instance if any damage is caused by work equipment to the home and if you have an accident caused by working from home what are the health and safety issues and what insurance does your employer have to cover this and do health and safety legislation apply.

just a thoughtEvil

18 REPLIES 18
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Working from home

I'd have thought a call to the insurance company might be in order. I would seriously doubt if home insurance would have the same level of cover as required by business insurance. Probably the ramifications are similar to failing to declare you're using a car for business use and then get stopped by the Police while carrying business equipment in the car etc. Driving with no insurance. 

As ever, I find reading that small print, tedious though it is, usually imparts useful insight.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Whenever i've applied for home insurance, the question of if any business is being carried out on the premises (or similar wording) is always there, so I would assume there would be some implications. it may just however, be one of those things you have to admit to and it doesn't affect your policy, or some restrictions may be put in place. I seem to recall there are some business rates implications for having a home office as well, although it may offset the tax deductions you could get for powering/ heating/ running the office.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

The definition of home business is very broad, one man and his computer in a back bedroom is very different to a firework factory in the garage. Same applies to business rates, they are usually charged only on non-domestic properties.  As for tax relief, been there and it's really not worth the effort. 

No matter what you're doing, or who it's for, Insurance cover is your responsibility, If any doubt about cover follow @idonno 's advice, give them a ring,...

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@TTman wrote:

Anyone know if there are any insurance implications to your house insurance when working from home,for instance if any damage is caused by work equipment to the home and if you have an accident caused by working from home what are the health and safety issues and what insurance does your employer have to cover this and do health and safety legislation apply.

just a thoughtEvil

With direct lline you need to have working from home cover persuant to the working from home directives of the employees charter 2007. You also need to dangle two corks from each light bulb, shake the salt shaker twice a morning and spin the water in the sink so it drains down the plug spinning the wrong way.

With LV you have to do a rain dance at exactly 7:03 and 32 seconds every day around the front of your house completely starkers. You must also declare that you're mentally insane and they'll gie you a 99% discount for working at home.

A piece of string is exactly 14m in length - irrespective of how long it is.

Seriously.. how should we know? lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@7up I thought the broad Knowledge and Intelligence of people on the forum would come up with a definitive answer>Roll_eyesShocked

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I thought maybe you were asking because your insurers customer service was as difficult to get hold of as PN's seems to be at the moment 🤔

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Marksfish No retired! As i just thought might be an interesting subject.Smiley

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

You could argue that since you'd be at home more, burglary would be less likely, and your nearest neighbours could request that their insurance companies also gave them a discount since your house is occupied nearly 24 hours a day making it less likely their homes will be broken into.  This would be an even more powerful argument if you allowed them to claim that you are incurably nosey and don't miss a thing of what goes on in your street while you are at home.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@TTman Late to the party (as usual 😁 ), but I was under the impression that insurance companies had been instructed to relax the 'working from home' restrictions as part of the attempt to keep the economy from totally collapsing.

John
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@TTman wrote:

@7up I thought the broad Knowledge and Intelligence of people on the forum would come up with a definitive answer>Roll_eyesShocked

I don't think you'll find any insurance company that works exactly the same way with exactly the same rules / policies.

With that said, Churchill and Direct Line are exactly the same - clones by the RBS group. Their websites are exactly the same but with different colours.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Being long retired it's of no consequence, but I note that the HM Land Registry freehold land transfer document from 1975 relating to my property has the following paragraphs:

(f) NOT to carry on or permit or suffer to be be carried on upon the property hereby transferred or any part thereof or in or upon any dwellinghouse or dwellinghouses to be erected thereon any trade or business whatsoever or any profession other than that of a Doctor Dentist Solicitor or Accountant.

(h) NOT to use or permit or suffer to be used the property hereby transferred in any way or manner which may be or become a nuisance or annoyance to the Transferrors or to its successors in title or the owners or occupiers of any adjoining or adjacent property and in particular not to keep pigs or other offensive livestock on the said land.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Champnet
Champion

Is there an interpreter in the house ?

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Here you go, @Champnet :

(f) The current property, or any new property erected on the site must not be used for any trade or profession other than that of Doctor, Dentist, Solicitor or Accountant.

(h)The land must not be used in a way that could cause annoyance to the occupiers, or those in surrounding properties, and particularly must not be turned into a livestock farm.

John
Champnet
Champion

Thanks @jab1 

That explains why looking around where we live some private dwellings are being used as medical & dental practices.

There are also Solicitors & accountants. It also explains how the Council was able to close the many Car sales & repairs businesses that appeared in recent years.

Never too old to learn.......