Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

Working from home

What do you think you would miss most if never going in to work and working from home? All meetings online,contacting fellow workers by e-mail, never going to the office!CoolHuh

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

Re: Working from home

Well, I'm retired so it doesn't really apply to me - but I would be totally unable to do my old job 'working from home'. How would I be able to get on the shop floor to examine material from eight miles away?

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Being retired the question does not apply to me.....but if I was still working and was able to work from home what would I miss.....absolutely nothing....all I can see are advantages, no time lost in travelling, money saved from travelling, bit longer in bed....what’s not to like.

😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

Well, I'm retired so it doesn't really apply to me - but I would be totally unable to do my old job 'working from home'. How would I be able to get on the shop floor to examine material from eight miles away?

Not sure what type of material you used to examine but I suspect a number of materials could be examined by computerised scanners to see if it met the required standards.

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles steel - and proper visual inspection was a necessity. Yes, someone could send a scan, but from experience (30 years of it), pictures don't always show the full picture.

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I dont think my neighbours would appreciate my back garden being full of forklift trucks or all the lorry movements delivering faulty machines or collecting repaired ones.

I'd also have to modify the fence as the gate isnt wide enough.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

@gleneagles steel - and proper visual inspection was a necessity. Yes, someone could send a scan, but from experience (30 years of it), pictures don't always show the full picture.

I know nothing about steel but I recall that on the old steam trains they tested the wheels with a hammer and they could tell from the sound if there were any issues.....

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

I know nothing about steel but I recall that on the old steam trains they tested the wheels with a hammer and they could tell from the sound if there were any issues.....

Wheel tappers & shunters - you want a nice ringing sound from the wheel when you tap it with the hammer.

If its got a crack it wont ring.

I do the same with the load guards on the forklifts - tap the uprights on the load guard & a broken weld will be heard as no ring.

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

We would need to demolishing the garage to relocate our cobble and the neighbours would certainly have something to say if I started boiling crabs in the hot tub...

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

On the semi-finished material I'm talking about, you needed to visually examine it - depending on the quality/specification, superficial cracks in some grades weren't a problem, in others they were. And it had to be a full 360 degree, full length inspection - ever tried taking a 360 degree picture of 14" diameter bar that could be up to 10' long? - in sufficient detail, in a press shop where the lighting could be 70-80' overhead

John
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 130

I'm semi retired and have worked from home 2 days a week for over a year now!

I can tell you one thing I don't miss, that's the 50 minute drive to and from the office😁 and that was on a good day!

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

@jab1 wrote:

Yep, you need dye pen, ultrasound and radiography to be sure.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero

@Strat A little bit OTT for intermediate bloom material 😉 - although I agree if you're talking finished product.

John
Highlighted
Fixes: 460

@jab1 

Ahh...I didn't know we were talking 'Bloom' stage.

Not quite at fabrication then 😂

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero

@Strat No - my working life was spent in the forge departments at Firth Brown, Sheffield Forgemasters and SMP/Allvac, although I meandered into the finishing areas if things got quiet enough - not that it did very often.

John