cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from Home

Anonymous
Not applicable

Working from Home

I have been privileged to work from home for many years, so much so that come the 15th of this month it will be 4 years since I saw my immediate boss!

But with that privilege comes a down side and that is on a day like today when a lot of people have a day off, and with working from home it’s difficult to step away from the work. I know I don’t have to work but being in the Office typing this I know there is stuff I can do and I’ve no doubt will do.

Even when I do take holidays I like to (need to) take at least 3 weeks off at a time (usually in Dec into Jan) when it’s quiet. I take 3 weeks off as it take me so long to wind down knowing the Office and work are only a few steps away. No one to blame but myself I guess.

But does working from home make you more productive and or more of a workaholic?

16 REPLIES 16
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Working from Home

It gives you the freedom of not spending two hours a day on a packed tube train at over 40 C with your nose pressed up against someone's sweaty armpit.

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous 

Can sympathise as I no longer get Bank Holidays either anymore, but in my case that is because im retiredCheesy

To answer your question probably a workaholic as if you add it up you probably now work more hours a week.

Strat
Fixes: 505

During the later years of my working life I was based in my IT office.

However it was very easy to log into work from home after tea and continue stuff.

In 2004 I took a month off to visit Canada and stayed at a relative's house.

Almost every day I was on their computer, logged into work, doing stuff.

Basically it was a case of 'because I could, I did'.

Prior to IT I was a welder and as such it was less easy to take work home with me.

The wife wouldn't have appreciated it either.

I think the moral of the story is working from home can result in more hours worked.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with @TTman and @Strat as regards the potential for working outside Office hours. But for those that pay attention you may have noticed that I very, very rarely post (or even logon) to this site after about 17:30 and I try to discipline myself for that very reason, not because I’m not getting paid but I do have other things to do in my life and I try to get a decent work / life balance. But on days like today that’s easier said than done.

But with that said I Love what I do, and I enjoy it immensely but there are boundaries that I try not to cross for my own sanity.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Anonymous  Perhaps a solution to the problem of Extra working hours... would be making your "office" unavailable, after ( say ) 17:00.... until (say) 09:00 next day...  HOW ? ? ?

Use a timer padlock, like this.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Timer-Padlock-Use-With-Luggage-Security-Lock-UK-Digital-usb-charger/352644345583?hash=item521b3daeef:g:F1IAAOSwvSpaia20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter that would only work on the 9-5 principal but as mentioned I already have that covered and as the lock doesn't know when it's a holiday I'd still be able to get access so defeating its purpose.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Yeah.... but...... if work is "addictive".... then you should treat it as such....treat it as is you wanted to stop smoking.... you would try will power first.... but that takes a lot of effort... and usually fails,.... ( as you know already,  working bank hols etc )...

So... you need to use a "anti smoking patch".... aka... the padlock on the door.... when it is bank hols...9-5.. because the padlock is STILL on the door... you should respect it... and say to yourself.... Hmm... not going in there today... cos it`s bank hols... 

Without the "patch"  (aka padlock )... there is no physical deterrent, to opening that door and getting stuck in !

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous I know not the same but many years ago when working in IT   the company brought in flexitime so we worked on a clock. We continued working as normal but after a month we were suprised to find how much longer we had worked over our contracted hours... we were allowed on the system to work 10 hours over a month and then take the time off. Anything over 10 hours was lost. We were losing over 12 hours a month.

Maybe you should try timing the hours you actually work and then you will now if you are a workaholic!!! Probily wont make any difference as it sounds as if you are a dedicated employee.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I personally have never got on with working from home.

At my old company we have only used it on a handful of times, mainly for DR testing and at some times for actual times when we have had DR scenarios. Fun day when I came in Monday morning with no power and we all got sent home to try and do some work, which meant a wasted commute into London and back but oh well.

Managed to get home around 12:30pm and did a bit of work, it was fun and games for a poor sysadmin who was supposed to be parternity leave and he had to change the servers over to DR - which are phyiscally located elsewhere. Meant he got called in on his leave.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend not to do too much work out of hours, as I turn off my Mac at about 17:30 and I won't return to it until the morning. My issue is not extra hours in the day but extra days, like today. There's not much point in planning an outing when the weather is well, british, so rather than twiddle my thumbs I'll work.

As I said earlier, I know I don't have to work today but I am, it's my choice but I'll 'finish' early and do something else.

@TTman wrote:

Probily wont make any difference as it sounds as if you are a dedicated employee.

You really mean Mug don't you @TTman Wink

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I see your point, if you've got nothing planned then why not.

Good thing about holidays is you tend to see people you don't usually see as they're off - depending on their jobs of course.

I know of someone but I suspect he may be working today, as he works in retail and I'd imagine today is going to be a busy day for them.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous  NO didnt mean that at all, maybe concientious would have been a better word. Thumbs_UpThumbs_Up

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've worked from home for many years.

Well that's what I tell people when asked.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

There’s something satisfying about being able to go practically anywhere and login to systems you have designed, built, maintained and supported. I remember when remote login was impossible as there were no external links.

Remote access from home was revolutionary as you could do out of hours maintenance, updates, changes etc. Any problems meant you had until tomorrow morning to fix. The downside was having to re-boot a server which didn’t come up again, a 2 hr trek into work....