cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Age & Looking after your Grandchildren? You could be missing out!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Working Age & Looking after your Grandchildren? You could be missing out!

Just found an interesting article here: Grandparents 'miss out' on National Insurance pension perks

Tens of thousands of grandparents are missing out on National Insurance (NI) credits which could be worth more than £230 a year when they retire, a former pensions minister has said.

To qualify for the so-called grandparents' credit, such relatives need to be of working age, while caring for the child in question.

In the year to the end of September 2016, only about 1,300 people claimed the credits, according to a response to a Freedom of Information request.

However, Sir Steve said that as many as 100,000 relatives could get them, if only they were made aware.

6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Working Age & Looking after your Grandchildren? You could be missing out!

I did see that and it looked far too restrictive, far too complicated, and hardly worth bothering about added to which I see little to recommend not working when, at the end of the day parents should look after their own children.

Become what is in effect a poorly paid baby sitter after bringing up four of my own? No thanks.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A easier way to get £220 is the unused married couples allowance, few people seem to be claiming this and it's fairly straight forward to apply for it.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles@Minivanman

The above doesn't really apply to me but I thought it might be useful to some folk. Best get what you can when it's being offered, the government are sure to take it back off you some other way.

Minivanman
Hero

Maybe I came over as a bit harsh but really, some things are just not worth bothering about. And should we get what we can, when we can, and just because we can? Not so sure about. Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

A easier way to get £220 is the unused married couples allowance, few people seem to be claiming this and it's fairly straightforward to apply for it.

Only for those earning less than £11000 a year though @gleneagles and not sure how many that is going to apply to. Smacks of desperation and barrel scraping if you ask me and far better I'd have thought to move towards a universal benefit income or, as the Guardian 'helpfully' describes it a la Daily Mail, State handouts for all. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/02/state-handouts-for-all-europe-set-to-pilot-universal-b...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

That article refers to the Swiss referendum, and they voted against a national basic income.

During times of high taxation people used to say, "Why don't they just take all our money and put us all on benefits?"  Perhaps it wasn't just a joke.