cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work

N/A

Work

Many of us in this part of the forum are retired. Pierre has just posted a missive about calling meetings (which I hated).
This got me wondering what folk miss about work and what they are very glad to be done with.
Those who are still at work can stretch their imaginations and contribute too.
Obviously, I am heartily glad that I don't have to attend meetings anymore. I used to get sick to the stomach with them.
I had a job that was about working with people but predominantly on my own and I loved it. Being independent and out and about just suited me fine - I could never have sat in in an office all day.
I have always missed the challenge of doing a good job and feeling useful. I don't miss the aggro from management and some of the people that I worked with.
Anyone else have any thoughts?
9 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Work

I'd be happy to have people realise how much work some of their colleagues do.
It really grates with me that I am virtually always here 15mins before I am due to start, and regularly am here many hours after I'm due to have finished, yet many people find it acceptable to arrive 5mins late, then eat breakfast at their desk. Pop out for occasional cig breaks, then have a long lunch, and then leave at bang on time, having packed up and got ready to leave 5mins before their finish time.
Yet these people bitch that some of us get paid more, and seem to get treated more favourably by our leadership team.
Eejits.
Fixes: 47

I was recently made redundant from my current job which was withdrawn a week later Undecided
To be quite honest I would love to have gone and then offered my services on a consultancy basis when the management realised what I actually did day to day. Smiley
I find meeting generally a waste of time as they allegedly offer a period of exchange of ideas which actually occurs throughout the day anyway.
I have so much I need or want to do that retirement is most definitely quite an attraction.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
To be quite honest I would love to have gone and then offered my services on a consultancy basis when the management realised what I actually did day to day. Smiley

This!!
Also - agree that meetings are a PITA - they are generally an opportunity for people to pass blame on to others.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought Josie might like this one
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well when I retired (After 43 years) the Manager and Supervisor had a meeting (could see them through the glass), they couldnt even shake my hand.
Used to like it on a lot of my jobs, had to drive to another location, Millbrook (was GMC, then Lotus, now Vauxhaul) proving Ground, Mira, Nuneaton, FVRDE Bagshot, or Italy and Austria, Well out of reach of the office and I was my own Boss till I got back.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: James_G
Quote from: Strat

This!!

This what James Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Sorry - on another board I frequent it's another way of saying 'I agree with this statement'.
It's a shortening of the phrase "I like this" (The site started as a photoshop/graphics site, this was a way to credit peoples work on various weekly topics. Now the site also has a few forums, with very "interesting tastes".)
It's not a particularly 'dodgy' site - there is long standing policy that everything should be Safe For Work - and if not it should be clearly marked as NSFW and linked to rather than being posted in view.
Language can be a bit colourful at times though.
www.b3ta.com
Say goodbye to your coffee breaks...
Community Veteran

I certainly don't miss the driving.  Sitting on the M25 most days crawling at 20mph if you were lucky Sad
jmd
Grafter

I do not miss work at all.  And James - you don't work for civil service do you?  Only your description sounds like where I used to be!
What is so nice about retirement is that you can do some voluntary work and choose what you do and when you do it!  So that it fits in between reading, walking dog etc. Smiley