Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work work work.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Work work work.

Seems we've got to forget about retirement, pottering around the house etc. Companies are desperate for your experience - well in the USA they are. No doubt the same applies here. Might explain why my boss would like to know when I might be stopping work completely..........

So are you ready for working till you drop? Or does the good life begin once you stop? With Brexit looming they'll soon have us all working in the fields.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Work work work.

The thought of retiring fills me with dread, I just don't know what I'd do with all of that extra time so I intend to work as long as I can. Anything else doesn't bare thinking about.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous 

Sure you'll think of something, and you actually like work?

If you won the National Lottery for example would you hand your notice in or continue working?

I know what I would do.

Here a Tongue just in case my post apears nasty Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not nasty at all @Alex I know exactly what you mean Smiley

Maybe I'm just fortunate to love my job, and I really, really mean that and I'm very lucky to work from home too. But if I were to come into a small or indeed large fortune I'd still work if only to keep my mind active.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Anonymous wrote:

The thought of retiring fills me with dread, I just don't know what I'd do with all of that extra time so I intend to work as long as I can. Anything else doesn't bare thinking about.

You are fortunate in having a job that you like doing.

For the first 30 years I liked doing my job but the work changed after that period and by the time I came to retire I was glad to get out, during the last few years I wondered how I would spend all that free time, exactly the opposite happened, these days I never have the time to do everything I want.

Hard to imagine there is not something such as a hobby, voluntary work, further study etc that you would not wish to do.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having given this some consideration, if anything it is the thought of getting up in the morning with no real plan on how to spend my time. But maybe when I do retire it will be the best thing that happens to me, but until then ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I remember some wise words from a friend when I told him I could not wait to retire he said not to wish your life away, but even so I was itching to leave the worry and responsibility of earning a crust far behind.

Always kept busy and quite literally, I never had time to go to work. Indeed it was work I found a waste of time slave as I felt I was to a system that rewards the employee far more than the employer. As it happend the last years were spent working for myself and crikey what a difference that made, and all to the better.  

Retirement? Embrace, welcome and enjoy it, and having retired at 60 and now 70 years old and a bit, I most certainly do.

Right, tea break over and it's back over to my shed for those BBQ modifications. Thumbs_Up  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

I retired. After 18 months I had done all the jobs around the house and started getting bored. My previous employer coincidentally got in touch offering me 3 months part time work, I could come and go as I pleased. I stayed for eight and a half years!

Changes in management and other factors told me it was time to finish but to be honest I miss it.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought like that as well and worked past retiring age,  but trust me you will know when you need to retire - for me it was the exponential increase in useless paperwork and health and safety BS.  I also found I had less patience with people who loved paperwork and meetings but did very little else .... I love playing golf when I like and scooting around on my sports motorbike - too be honest I still feel like a kid who has bunked off school being able to do this stuff after spending over 50 years at work with hardly a day off....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Seems there was another article today from the same source.

From this one as well, I never "lied about being retired" never suffered "existential crisis" (whatever that is) and the "novelty" of having done so has never worn off.

Horses for course as they say. Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@wotsup 

Exactly same reasons why I was glad to go, unnecessary paper work, pointless meetings, Health and Safety, Management consultants on 3 or 4 times your pay telling you what you already know, working breakfasts, working lunches....for some the stuff of dreams for me a living nightmare, I count my lucky stars I was able to go when I did.

Never looked back, if I had not been able to retire I would have been dead years ago,

Blood pressure before leaving 180/100

Today...130/70

Says it all for me.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Staff appraisals was always my big bugbear, I detested being part of something that was just so utterly pointless and made worse when it was carried out by some half baked moron that knew nothing about the job in hand or how it was managed. Fortunately I was able to dump it for a few years by studying for my A levels and then doing a full time degree course for five years as a forty five year old mature student. Funny thing was, my then student grant was on par with what I was earning and because of my age was written off when I reached the age of fifty!

Five years working for m'self followed, which in turn was followed by early retirement.

Paid slavery overseen by jumped up little squirts, you can keep it.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

I was lucky as many have said here work satisfaction got worse an worse so I couldnt wait to retire. I worked for a bank and one month before I was due to retire they decided to make me redundant. So left a month early with a big pay out and then got my pension a month later. Was I a happy bunny.....YES!!Roll_eyesThumbs_Up

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@TTman 

Some people think the place cannot run without them and they are indispensable. In my case I made every effort to convince them the place could run without me and managed to get out a year earlier, the redundancy paid of a very small outstanding mortgage so like you I was a happy bunny.

Thumbs_Up

I recall a few years back a army officer along with others was made redundant and when asked how he felt about it said.....

Fantastic !

When you are in your 20s digging holes and jumping in them is great fun

When you are in your 30s  digging holes and jumping in them is hard work.

When you get into your 40s digging holes and jumping into them is sheer torture.

Fortunately I did not have a physically demanding job but suspect many who do will relate to what that army officer said.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It was not only about the actual work even though many were either bored out of their skulls or found it physical demanding, it was also about the amount money paid in relation to those top earners in the company - and easily spotted by the cars owned and parked up in those private spaces. I was reading earlier that UK bosses earn over 100 times more than the average worker and that cannot be right - well actually, it's not.

Top that up with having to get up in the morning, having to go to work, and having to wait for that two weeks holiday each year which ended up as a 'home holiday' decorating the living room or wherever. 

You turn up to work if you want to, this lad is for turning around and going back to sleep. Buck2