Did you mean: 

Words I hate

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 2

Re: Words I hate

Quote from: hulls
Since we're discussing this sort of thing, how do you pronounce  o u g h ?  Smiley

Seeing your post brought to mind an elaborate poem that someone I knew studied at elocution lessons - just went looking for it on Google and found a copy here ("The Chaos", about a third of the way down the page).
... whilst looking on Google, I also found this .....
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Highlighted

Veni, vidi, velco
I think you'll find this should be Velcro.  Yes, it's definitely Velcro (not, by the way, definately, as many people seem to think these days)
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Penny
... whilst looking on Google, I also found this .....

Just wen I fort the EU was on the side of the "Disabled" they come out with more ways to make "Dyslexics" lifes harder!  Huh
I am hoping that "Euro-English" is just a myth or is it true?    Huh
I dislike the English language all ready! 
If "Euro-English" is really going to replace the English language I am up the creek with out a paddle!  Sad
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hi
I've seen this hoax before.  You can't help but smile.  Grin
John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Then there's
GHOTI = fish
GH as in rouGH
O as in wOmen
TI as in acTIon
Grin
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Being someone who gets rather annoyed by people's generally poor use of the English language, I've been reading through here with some interest and amusement. I'm hardly an expert at English (I only took it as far as GCSE, which seemed to be more about having a good imagination than anything else), but nevertheless, glaringly obvious mutilations of easily-learnt aspects of the language do annoy me. In no particular order, some of my pet peeves are the following:

• Using 'of' instead of the contraction of 'have'

• Americanisations... or should that be Americanizations

• Definitely

• Weird

• Necessarily

• Their/there/they're

• It's/its

• Effect/affect

• May/can (although I often forget about this myself)

• Apostrophes, particularly after plurals

• Confusion between commas, semicolons and colons

• Confusion between ' and "

• And most of all, a lack of desire by most people to learn how to sort their mistakes out.

And by the way, just because I feel like nit-picking...
Quote from: James
Not words, but spelling mistakes ala "definately"

I think you'll find that 'ala' should have been 'à la'. Tongue
As for phrases and other colloquialisms that some people have specified as things they dislike, I don't necessarily agree. For example, someone mentioned 'to be honest'; a phrase I frequently use myself. Why do I use it? Because I always try to be honest with people (oh no, I've just started a sentence with 'because', shoot me now). If you stop and think about things, you'd probably find that you lie quite frequently in day-to-day life... maybe the lies are only really small, such as pretending you're feeling better than you really are when someone says "how are you?", but still, they demonstrate the need for a phrase such as that. There were other things I thought of contesting too whilst reading through this thread, although I've forgotten about them now...
For anyone who's interested in the English language, I highly recommend the OED (which I know has already been mentioned in this thread). I'm fortunate that my university subscribes to the online version of it; I'm taking Music not English, but I still find it very useful - and interesting - to peruse when I need to find something out. Alas, subscribing to the website isn't cheap, but it is a veritable goldmine for those interested in our mother tongue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G

The kennel was home to 5 dogs. The dogs' home was where their hearts were.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: dhookham
Quote from: Be3G

The kennel was home to 5 dogs. The dogs' home was where their hearts were.

According to my English teacher (affectionately known as "Dicky" Henderson, or "uncle Alistair" (don't ask) it's quite simple.  Ask yourself who owns whatever it is, and the apostrophe comes immediately after that.  So to use the example above.  Who owns the house?  If there was only one dog, then it's the dog's house, but if there were 5 dogs, then it's the dogs' house.
Or, Chris has a pair of shoes.  Whose shoes are they?  They're Chris's shoes.  (Of course the second "s" is optional, so it would be equally correct to write, "They're Chris' shoes")
Oh the joy of the English language. Grin
John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The apostrophe is only really half the problem in these cases though - people also frequently forget whether or not they should also use an 's', where to put it, that kind of thing... so you can end up with some pretty strange things being written. Plus you then get confusion over whether words such as 'people' should be treated as a singular or plural (it's the former for those who aren't aware)...
Highlighted
Grafter

You are an invaluable member of the staff...
(and in time - a valuable one?)
"Mission Impossible"
Then, there's no point in attempting it then.
Think on it = ponderable
don't think = imponderable ?
When a travagance has ended - does it become an ex?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

complete
incomplete = not complete
consistent
inconsistent = not consistent
but...
flammable
inflammable = flammable  Wink
Highlighted
Grafter

going back to hated words
"Unwanted Present"
duplicate present i can understand but "Unwanted".Why dont they take it to the person who gave it to them and say to their faces "I dont want this,its rubbish".
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I sell unwanted gifts on Ebay and turn them into much wanted cash Smiley
Another phrase I forgot to add to my list is "Appreciation Society" most groups on Facebook seem to be called the X Appreciation Society or something like that. It really annoys me, why can't they think of another name.
You probably don't get this mini rant unless you use Facebook sorry.
Highlighted
Rising Star

I have to admit that LIKE the use of the word 'Like' interjected LIKE at random LIKE intervals drive me LIKE up the wall.  It seems to be a LIKE girly thing
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I don't think it's a gender thing, like.
I hate "fink" - for think and "fing" of thing.
It's "thu" not "fu" .........