Did you mean: 

Words I hate

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 2

Re: Words I hate

Quote from: Spider
I always thought that the plural of forum was forums, but more and more I see fora being used. I coming to really dislike that word

likewise Smiley
[quote="Concise Oxford Dictionary"]forum /"fO;r@m/
· n. (pl. forums)
1 a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.
2 chiefly N. Amer. a court or tribunal.
3 (pl. fora) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business.
– ORIGIN ME: from L., lit. ‘what is out of doors’.

Having gone looking elsewhere, and arrived at the same page ref, it seems clear from what is quoted above that the plural of "fora" applies specifically (and only) to item 3 above, hence that plural being listed separately in that context only.
I tend to accord the OED the status of definining what is actually "correct" with the English language.
Obviously "common usage" will modify in due course however words are listed (in the OED and elsewhere) - I just find it somewhat curious that people might prefer "fora" which sounds sort-of-pretentious like someone who wanted to show how "educated" they were might use.
I studied both Latin and classical Greek (loved the latter, especially) and have been fairly immersed in language-type stuff ever since.  It would seem to me that "forums" is the logical plural for the sort of "forum" we are talking about (given that "fora" applied only historically to the Roman agora-type usage), and that accords with the OED definition above.
However language is a living thing so much may change / is changing Smiley  the perhaps-odd aspect of all this is that much of today's communication is done in writing, via the Internet, rather than language becoming modified by how it is *said* and how it *sounds*.
Just my 2p Wink
Penny.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PJ
I have to confess, you've probably got me there  Grin

LOL
wasn't actually "aiming arrows" at anyone here Smiley
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hi
I suspect "modern usage" again.  The original Roman fora were places where people met to debate, and discuss issues.  These "forums" are places on the internet where people meet to debate and discuss issues.  They're a natural modern equivalent.  To try and differentiate on the grounds that one was Roman and one is modern is a little meaningless.  However as you say, the language moves on, which is why, as I said earlier, I expect to lose the argument that collective nouns are singular.  Modern usage almost always makes them plural.
In the words of my old English teacher, "be consistent". Tongue

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

One of the sayings that really gets right up my nostrils is when people keep adding the words "you know" into most of the sentences they say.
Just listen on any radio or TV interview and count the you knows that you hear.  It will astound you.
Highlighted

What does the current use of "actually" mean in a sentence. Is it meant to give some extra credibility to what ever rubbish follows?
EP
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Words, sayings and phrases I dislike:
01.  Foot Boll = sport.
02.  Real = Computer tape.
03.  Go on be a sport = You ar a fool if you do it!
04.  Go on be a devil = You ar a fool if you do it!
05.  Kids = Children.  Angry
06.  That little brat = That Child.
07.  LOL = ?
08.  You know.
09.  Did you see that?  Wen you were watching it.
10.  Oh god = I made a mistake.
11.  Cant = I Won't do it!
12.  It's impossible = Will not try to find a solution to it.
13.  He/She is a geek = An enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field.
Just my 2p worth.  Cheesy
Highlighted
Grafter

"To be honest" what like you weren't being honest before
"Somethink" aaaaahhhhh its something thing thing thing always has been and always will be
Highlighted
Community Veteran

When out shopping and you ask if a shop stocks an item and they say "No as their is no demand".
Oh, and can I add all those words that sound the same put are spelt differently, such as:
where, wear, were
their, there
key, quay
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sorry Spider, I've got to disagree with the various spelling bit. They're spelled (or spelt if you prefer) differently for a reason; they mean different things.
Now if you'd said words that are spelled/spelt differently, but mean the same thing (like spelled and spelt) I may agree with you. Grin
John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

But if I say the phrase "over their" you would know what I mean. Now that it is written down people will comment that they do not under stand the meaning.
I would have to agree with you regarding words that are spelt (spelled) differently that mean the same thing.
Highlighted
Grafter

But if I say the phrase "over their" you would know what I mean. Now that it is written down people will comment that they do not under stand the meaning.

Exactly.
"Over their dead bodies" and "Over there, dead bodies" mean two completely different things!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I get really frustrated, when I read documents, and have to read the same line three or more times, trying to get the meaning, because people have used poor or imprecise English, and as for having to read the whole page twice, because someone's keyboard lost all the punctuation keys! Undecided
John
Highlighted
Grafter

Another annoying problem is not words spelled differently that mean the same thing,  but words spelled the same that mean different things..
e.g.
The bandage was wound around the wound.
When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
The buck does funny things when the does are present.
and there's more http://www.kmilburn.me.uk/Love of the English language.txt
Highlighted
Community Veteran

kmilburn
You're right on almost every occassion.  The past tense of "dive" is "dived" (unless you're American)  The term "refuse" to mean "rubbish" is also American, but I see what you mean.
Since we're discussing this sort of thing, how do you pronounce  o u g h ?  Smiley
John