cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word v Open Office

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Word v Open Office

I have used both Word and Open Office at various times over the years, but have found that OO has become just as bloated as the MS offerings these days. So have returned to Word (and MS Office in general)
But when attempting to open an older document for a reference, that may or not have been written in OO. it fails to open correctly. It opens Word as expected (I have uninstalled OO) but with what appears to be an encrypted script, with a window called "File conversion" that has not the slightest indication what it should be used as or for, except an Ok button which doesn't help.
Any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Word v Open Office

That sounds like you're opening a version of the file that word no longer supports,  or the file may be corrupted.
Microsoft have this habit,  when they release a new version,  to drop support for an older format, in an attempt to make you buy each release as they come.
Word is incredibly bad at handling corrupted files, however,  I've sucessfully recovered documents in Open Office that Word would not open in any useful way.
My advice would be to have Open Office installed as a backup  (or these days,  Libre Office),  open the file in there and resave it  and see if that makes Word happy.
Community Veteran

Thanks kmilburn, I'll look in to that. I'm using an "older" version of MS Office; 2007.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Due to the cost, I find it impractical to keep MS Word up to date, My wife's netbook has an old version of word on it which will not open certain files from later versions of Word (odf, I think) but OO or Libre Office has no such troubles as it can be kept up to date without financial penalty.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 124

Have you tried Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats?
It may be useful...
Edit: Possibly better aimed at walker23 as I don't think it adds compatibility with Office 2010 from 2007.
Edit2: Actually, it looks like it could help you, Petlew.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

anniesboy
Grafter

Try Libre Office ,its by folks that were involved in OO before it was "taken over"? Its a long story I cant remember the details.
http://is.gd/CtvJlK
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's. Libre Office solved the problem.
I also installed the compatibility pack Mav. Not sure if I need to restart the PC since doing so (most MS products need a restart, but it wasn't recommended) but it doesn't seem to have made a scrap of difference.

Fixes: 124

Well, I am just glad one of the suggestions given worked Smiley
As for a reboot I have no idea as I have Office 2007 and have never yet met any compatibility problems. I do remeber, though, that installing Office under Windows 2000 required a reboot but not with W7. Can't actually remember for XP - but I think not.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thank you, Libra Office is rather good. Particularly impressed with "Drawing" as an alternative to MS Publisher.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I find Kingsoft Office Free 2012, very good, it has the look and feel of Microsoft Office 2003, and is  compatible with the M.S. office file formats,  Smiley
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Yes Libre is good and gets over the compatibility problem but, I still wish to continue to use MS Word as the default WP. However, it seems that Libre has set itself to be the default when opening existing files, which I don't really want. I've searched Word diligently but can't find an option to reset Word as the default WP.
I'm aware that I can "open with" Word or Libre from a right click menu on the file icon, But I'd sooner it was the other way round so that I select Libre if I want it.
Apart from anything else Libre is a good bit slower to open, needing to go through the loading process each time.
PS. its not from Office 2007 its from Office XP, but I'm not sure there's much difference.

kmilburn
Grafter

The easiest  way to switch which program is used by default is shown here.
for XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859
or vista/7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-program-that-opens-a-type-of-file
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If I recollect correctly "OpenOffice" was purchased by Oracle Corp. who promised to look after it along the lines of "Open" software. Oracle have since realised it does not contribute to the Larry Ellison yacht fund and so support has somewhat diminished. Meanwhile the people who used to support Open Office became a bit disgruntled and produced an alternative open product called Libre. The maintenance on this by the "open" community is much more effective.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
kmilburn
Grafter

courtesy or Wikipedia
The Document Foundation created LibreOffice from their former project in response to Oracle Corporation's purchasing of Sun Microsystems over concerns that Oracle would either discontinue OpenOffice.org, or place restrictions on it as an open source project, as it had on Sun's OpenSolaris.
As a result of the fork of OpenOffice.org into LibreOffice, and the resulting loss of developers, Oracle announced in April 2011 that it was terminating the commercial development of OpenOffice.org. In June 2011, Oracle announced that it would contribute the OpenOffice.org code and trademark to the Apache Software Foundation, which decided to accept the offer and start an incubation process within the foundation.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I've searched Word diligently but can't find an option to reset Word as the default WP.

Thanks AlaricAdair. As usual not seeing the wood for the trees. Easy really.