cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word spelling.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Word spelling.

Being careful not to become associated with the horrors of text-speak, have you ever thought about the spelling of words as they sound phonetically rather than how history and the OED want them spelt.
For instance:
close as in shut: cloz
use as in utilise: yooz
use as in for the use of: yuse
clue: cloo
Many words ending in "ed" could save an "e" and be apostrophe (apostrofe) "d"
There must be any number of these including whole sections of the dictionary where "ph" is used instead of the more obvious "f"
Can you think of any?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Word spelling.

is the 'o' in 'cloz' pronounced as in shot or as in doe; should it start with a 'c' or maybe a 'k'? I really haven't a cloo!
A favourite 'play' on spelling and pronunciation is the word 'ghoti', pronounced 'fish' using the pronunciations in the words rough, women and station (or should that be ruf, wimin and stayshun?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
... have you ever thought about the spelling of words ...

Sorry, I can't resist the repetition. Yes.
Community Veteran

I'm hoping that the rise of smart phones (and their dictionaries) will mean an end to the abomination that is text-speak.
Community Veteran

I often find that the smarter the phone, the less smart the user  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Wunda wot fone u yuse Undecided
Community Veteran

I bought one for £9.99 from Tesco  Wink
Call me 'w23'
Fixes: 47

Samsung S3 Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation