cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woolworths is coming back soon!

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,077

Re: Woolworths is coming back soon!

I went in 2 on the day they shut, you could buy everything but the tills.
All the paper towels, soap etc was down from the staff room, used pens, till rolls - no receipts by this point.
It was fill a basket for 3 quid and take the basket with you...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Won't be able to buy pick'n'mix online though - bit of a problem that.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I was in Epping last week and there is a new shop that sells loose sweets that are displayed in glass jars.  That takes me back a bit Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

I saw this shop http://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/ featured on a programme with Robbie Coltrane touring the UK and I am determed to go and visit when I can get on the road and have been sorely tempted to order from them online.
Highlighted
Grafter

^ The outside view looks like the caf in Last of the Summer Wine Tongue
Highlighted
Grafter

Its in Pateley Bridge
Last of the Summer Wine is film in Holmfirth which is not that far from Huddersfield but as a lot of the houses are stone built in the North they can look similar but look a darn sight nicer than red/buff  brick in my opinion.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Woolworth weren't just a pick and mix sweet shop . I have memories of late 50's & 60's going into Woollies every time we went shopping in Chelmsford . I don't know why, but I had a fascination with their stationery counter, and was always spending my pocket money there.
They had children's Ladybird clothes, electrical equipment and accessories etc etc. I think they did records back then too ?.
So not greatly different from what they did to the end really. I think they were just overtaken by the supermarkets.
I was in my local store several times in the last week. When the shop closed the staff had put a huge notice on the window, with lots of notes of thanks - giving their length of service - many being 10 to 20 years  and it was so sad to see.
Highlighted
Grafter

Its the staff with the long service I felt sorry for.
I'd have bought my music from them but as I don't buy chart stuff they didn't stock what I was after so it was off to HMV.
I reckon the likes of Amazon did for Woolworths you know, I mean you can order pretty much anything from there 24/7 and get it delivered so why go into a store?
Its a bit like when I went into HMV a while back and was looking for a specific album, couldn't find it so went and asked "nah, but we can order it for you"
"Any chance I could pay now and it could be sent to me" (I avoid our city centre at all costs)
"Nah but we'll ring ya when its in"
I politely declined and ordered it from their site.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes, a few years ago when I was buying music CD's, video's DVD etc  - we had a HMV, Virgin Music store, WH Smith's and smaller independent music stores all within about 200m of each other, so I sometimes went to them all to check prices - and usually the cheapest was Wollies.
And many smaller towns had a Woollies and none of the others except perhaps WH Smith's - and the price was only a little higher than the larger store in the big town's.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

When I'm wanting DVDs, CDs etc I always use http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/ The Site provides a comparison on all outlets stocking the product together with a link to the store sites.
If you check out a product on the site you'll be surprised at the differential between the cheapest and the dearest price.
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,077

combine it with this http://www.best-dvd-price.co.uk/ and you get a great spread of prices  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Looks like another good site Adiewoo.  Two sites that should cover everything we need. Smiley
Highlighted
Fixes: 417

Quote from: mal0z
Woolworth weren't just a pick and mix sweet shop . I have memories of late 50's & 60's going into Woollies every time we went shopping in Chelmsford . I don't know why, but I had a fascination with their stationery counter, and was always spending my pocket money there.

Me, too. Ahhhhhhhh -memories Smiley
I remember when our local Woolies in Lewisham was updated in the lated 70's. Changed completely and was never the same - it had lost that appeal and sense of wonder (remember the ad 'The Wonder of Woolies'?).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Grafter

Watched the documentary recently and apparently it had wood counters and floors?
Bet poor FW Woolworth was spinning in his grave when they changed it.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: StickyMick
[Someone had even bought the huge Pick'n'Mix display.

I seriously doubt that as the Pick and Mix displays were property of Candy King and there was noticed placed on the stands saying the reason they were not to be sold.
On a brighter note the local paper here is saying that another retailer has taken over the lease of the store here but no-one knows who it is yet.