Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woolworths is coming back soon!

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Woolworths is coming back soon!

Hi All
Woolworths is to reopen online, Shop Direct has boart the name Woolworths and the Domains from Deloitte.
From The Times Online: Woolworths to reopen online as Shop Direct buys name
Woolworths has risen from the ashes after a surprise deal with Shop Direct, the owner of Littlewoods, to revive the failed high street retailer in cyberspace.
A month after the shutters came down on the last Woolworths store, Shop Direct, owned by Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, is understood to have paid Deloitte, the administrator, between £5 million and £10 million for the Woolworths brand name. Shop Direct refused to comment on the price.

32 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Woolworths is coming back soon!

well it was only last week that shop direct was closing call centres and getting rid of people, we shall see
Fixes: 104

Indeed....
Shop Direct to cut about 900 staff
LONDON (Reuters) - Retailer Shop Direct said on Wednesday it will cut about 900 staff due to the proposed closure of a call centre in Crosby and changes at other sites.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

From the same article
Shop Direct cut 1,150 jobs last week, closing a call centre, as it transforms itself into a primarily internet-based retailer.

Huh
alanf
Aspiring Pro

As reported above Shop Direct boss interviewed on BBC attributed the loss of call centre jobs largely to the growth of online ordering replacing orders phoned in.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7864194.stm
Community Veteran

like, who cares?  they've been selling overpriced rubbish for years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well just the name that'll live on, I was surprised someone didn't snap up the brand before (since it's so established).
I wonder how much it went for, and whether it was one of those token amounts like £10? Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

No it was sold between £5 million and £10 million.
Community Veteran

Whoops, yes .. missed the price in your original post Grin
When I heard about it in the news, I am sure it wasn't disclosed at the time. So didn't think it had been now!
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: artificer

So have Woolies Tongue
Some Norfolk entrepreneur actually offered £1 for the business, initially.
I went into the Woolies store when I was visiting Lowestoft one day. Everything was gone apart from a Ken Dodd, two Amy Winehouse CDs and the display cabinets and shelving, and even they were up for sale. Someone had even bought the huge Pick'n'Mix display.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: StickyMick
Quote from: artificer

So have Woolies Tongue

I rather think that the issue was a lack of sales of overpriced rubbish, rather than a success at doing so.
Perhaps a model for future businesses is not to try and sell rubbish, with special care to avoid the overpriced variety?
Grin
Community Veteran

Another entrepreneur has bought all the stock from MFI and plans to sell it at stores around London and on the internet.  He hasn't bought the MFI name. 
He has also bought all the bits and pieces so if anyone is missing a screw or a bracket from something they bought from MFI he will sell them it.  Could be very lucrative  Grin
techguy
Grafter

They should have stuck to what they knew, that was being a sweetshop as everybody remembers woolworths most for the pick 'n' mix.
The chap that owns Ryman was in the running at one point but said he could not come to an agrerement with the administrators.
As for the Barclay Brothers' owned Shop Direct buying it, it will just flog the same stuff as their existing brands.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Someone had even bought the huge Pick'n'Mix display.

Keep your eyes open for similar items on Ebay.......  Cheesy
and bear this in mind in 25 or 30 years time, you will see it on the current version of
"Antiques Roadshow"......  Cheesy  Probably worth a small fortune.... !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I went to one Woolworths just before Christmas - didn't go to one just before they shut.
From the sounds of it, I'm surprised they didn't sell the light bulbs from the ceiling Smiley