cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woollies Stick-on soles

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Woollies Stick-on soles

A few years ago, I  repaired my own shoes, with stick-on soles from Woollies !. 
does anyone know of any other retailer (like Woolworth`s) who stock a similar product?
Now I am "of pensionable age". this seems to me to be the "way to go"
20 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Woollies Stick-on soles

Not a "retailer (like Woolworth`s)" but have you looked in local cobblers?
For example: http://www.timpson.com/online-store/type.asp?cat_id=9&type_id=46
Community Veteran

That looks just the sort of thing I`m after !.... might even get them "on line" if I can`t find them locally.... (don`t do much shopping, missus does that stuff ! ! )  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Having asked this question just the other day I was told to try Wilkinson's hardware.
Community Veteran

Hmm. I know where my local "Wilco" store is..... I have spent many hours in the carpark waiting for "er indoors" to "just get a couple of things"      Roll eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HPsauce
Having asked this question just the other day I was told to try Wilkinson's hardware.

That was my first thought when asked to suggest "any other retailer (like Woolworth`s)". Wilkinson is the sort of odds and end shop that Woolworth's used to be several years ago, However, soles are not listed on the Wilkinson website.
Community Veteran

Funny that, I had exactly the same question in mind the other day, where can I get some stick on soles now Woolies has gone, thanks for the tips.
Shutter
Here is the plan to
A) avoid having to shop with the wife
B)Speed her up if she is too long.
(Plan B depends on having previously implemented Plan A)
Plan A
Suggest you will go in the shop with her to 'help'. Lull her into a false sense of security by pushing the trolley at first. Then gradually start picking up unnecessary and expensive items and putting them in the trolley. She will then ask you to put them back, don't be discouraged by this. Continue to add more and more of these items to the trolley despite her protests. As the trolley is now getting heavy subtly let her begin to push it. By now she will be telling you to put them back but don't weaken now. Since she is pushing the trolley now you more opportunity to load the trolley with your special items.
Soon she will then start taking the items out herself and putting them them back on the shelves. While she is doing this you can sneak a few more in to the trolley.
This will be the snapping point, she will then say "for Christ's sake [husband's name] if you are going to do this I wish you would go and wait in the car, it will be easier and cheaper if I do this myself" You then have to say "are you sure you don't want me to help dear" ? She will then say 'yes, sod off". So you go and have some coffee or read the paper in the car and wait until she is finished.
So next time you  need shopping but you fancy listing to the Archers on the radio or whatever non shopping activity prevails. when you arrive at the supermarket you ask "would you like me to come in and help you dear, I need to pick a few things up for myself? She will say "not bloody likely, you wait here until I get back"
Cunning Plan A works
Plan B
Of course now she only shops on her own, you have to encourage her to hurry it up a bit. So when you drop her off you have to say "It really boring waiting here because it takes you so long to do the shopping on your own, I think I will come and help you" *wife remembers plan A* "No it's OK dear, you stay here, I will just whizz round really quickly and I will be back in no time"
Cunning Plan B works.

Edit: For clarification on criteria for Plan A
Please ensure  the unnecessary expensive things you put in the trolley are all your favourite treats and stuff that she will never buy for you. If she calls your bluff/doesn't get it, just pay for them and when you get home have a little party for yourself!
In severe cases the treatment may have to be reapplied several times until the message is properly received.
Community Veteran

Plan A has been in operation for 25 years, and still plan B remains the same !....  Cheesy  Except her definition of "whizz" has nothing to do with how fast she moves ! Undecided
I don`t go shopping with her, I just wait (snooze/read/listen to the archers/air traffic control/music/nip out and get something to eat/buy a paper/watch the world(girls) go by) or just generally amuse myself.... Smiley
I am quite resigned to the fact that she takes an hour and a half, with the words " I won`t be a few minutes" drifting back to me across the carpark, as she enters the world of the unknown!.
Best bit is..... she complains about how long she had to wait at the checkout, because of the people in front of her with trolley full of goodies, just the same size as her trolley (full to the brim) and then comes back to the car telling me she found some "bargains"......  Roll eyes Roll eyes
The words "I don`t like shopping" come to mind often...... but not from me...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

You are well sorted then, I thought you would be.
However we have to remember the younger members of the forum who have yet to deal with the 'shopping' issue. They will now be able to use Plan A and Plan B accordingly I hope.
I must point out that listening to the Archers is optional and not a prerequisite to the success of the campaign
SparckZero
Grafter

What happens if, during Plan A, she doesn't catch on (or is just extremely, extremely crafty) and you end up at the checkout with a bunch of heavy, expensive, useless stuff that you don't need? Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

bring her down heree,our local Tesco have dropped the free car park time from 2 hours to 90 mins
Community Veteran

Quote from: SparckZero
What happens if, during Plan A, she doesn't catch on (or is just extremely, extremely crafty) and you end up at the checkout with a bunch of heavy, expensive, useless stuff that you don't need? Huh

If you have a dim one or a crafty one it is the same solution.
It is simple, all the unnecessary expensive things you put in the trolley are all your favourite treats and stuff that she will never buy for you. If she calls your bluff/doesn't get it, just pay for them and when you get home have a little party for yourself!
In severe cases the treatment may have to be reapplied several times until the message is properly received.
Thank you for asking this question I have added this detail to the Plan

Community Veteran

UPDATE.... have just bought a pair of stick on soles, with tube of glue for £4.99 in ROBERT DYAS hardware store...  Wink
and I got my "posh shoes" back from the cobbler today.... soled and heeled for £22.50  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Does this mean you actually have 2 pairs of shoes  Cool
Community Veteran

Yes !.... but Imelda Marcos AKA SWMBO AKA the missus has many more  !  Grin