cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wooden Decking problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Wooden Decking problem

We have an area of wooden decking just outside our kitchen, which , you could "loosely" term... a "patio"  ! !! ..

It has been down for about 10 years, and quite a few of the "planks" have become rotten, and in need of replacement, ... About a year ago, some were replaced, and a covering of "artificial grass" was laid on top, mainly to stop my missus slipping on wet board when she went out there...

Yeah, I know it`s not a good idea "in principle" as it will only exacerbate the rot problem... but that is not really a problem , as it is already going that way.

What I am thinking of, is a "cheapo" repair, so to speak... and, of course, relatively easy for an old man like me to carry out, with minimal effort.

Brain in gear....thought... 8x4 9 mm OBS sheet,  2400 x 1200 for the modernists... the come in about £15 per sheet, and would cost about £100 to cover the area.

Brain in gear again... thinks... aha, if I give them a coat of paint... that may "preserve" them a bit more against the damp.

But.... Undercoat in WICKES is £12,00 a litre... which will work out quite expensive to cover both sides of 7 sheets of 8x4... 

So..... as the boards will be covered by the artificial grass, once laid down... the paint job does not need to be expensive..

. just looking for what kind of "alternative" waterproofing  you would suggest for the situation...

Must be cheapo........

27 REPLIES 27
All Star
Fixes: 14

Re: Wooden Decking problem

@shutter 

What about using an exterior grade product such as this:

https://www.roofinglines.co.uk/product/osb-3-oriented-strand-sterling-board-8-x-4-2-4m-x-1-2m-x-18mm...

(Wheteher this particular link is any good depends on where you live re delivery).

I know that it is dearer but would not require any treatment.

There are other similar sheet products around.

Seasoned Champion

In the past I have used textured masonary paint ( cheaper than anti-slip floor paint ) normal floor paint or even normal exterior wood paint with sharp sand sprinkled on it while it is still wet.  This creates a durable anti-slip finish,  putting astro-turf over wood was never gonna end well.........  if you use the sterling board suggested earlier with the anti slip finish as above it should last OK...

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 168

@shutter 

Have you taken into consideration that artificial grass has drainage holes in it. This could well result in puddles forming on your 8x4 boards under the grass, exacerbating any tendancy to rot.

Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter  How about concrete and a tin of green paint AngelCool_smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@jgb wrote:

@shutter 

What about using an exterior grade product such as this:

https://www.roofinglines.co.uk/product/osb-3-oriented-strand-sterling-board-8-x-4-2-4m-x-1-2m-x-18mm...

(Wheteher this particular link is any good depends on where you live re delivery).

I know that it is dearer but would not require any treatment.

There are other similar sheet products around.

I have used this type of board a few times and can would recommend it as the best solution.

I have often seen it used to board up empty buildings or houses and whilst I do not know the length of time it has been there it looks like it’s seen a few years without any sign of rot.

Community Veteran

@jgb  & @gleneagles 

awickes board pic.png

Looks the same to me !  ! ....

As for the "drainage" problem... yes... I have considered that... I propose leaving a half inch gap between the edges of the boards... and I think the "lie" of the current boards is away from the house slightly "down hill"..  so it should not remain wet for too long... 

Concrete, is a non event.... it would take too much effort to rip out all the present decking, and then put in hardcore , and then mix up the concrete.. and then wait for it to dry... assuming that it is laid on a dry day, and no rain is forecast....  remember I said ..

and, of course, relatively easy for an old man like me to carry out, with minimal effort.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

OSB3 is bound in a hard resin, which is waterproof in itself, but it does tend to deteriorate over time (don't we all!). A properly waterproofed product should have "waterproof" stamped on it somewhere. I would personally be careful what else you put on it because some finishes can cause the resin to partially dissolve and leave you with a sticky mess. A water-based sealant of some kind would be best. I would personally go for a silicone product if you can find one, but try it on a piece of scrap OSB first.

Community Veteran

@shutter 

That Wickes product is waterproof. I've used it outside with just a light topcoat of a cheap weathershield-type paint and it's ok.

Community Veteran

@nozzer   Thanks for your reply....

appreciated... will see if I can get some delivered.... ! ! ..

Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter Wasnt been serious just triying to give you a smileThumbs_Up

Community Veteran

Definitely go for OSB3, my shed roof is OSB2 ans spent a couple of years without the felt after blowing off, and it lost its' waterproof abilities, still holding together, but quite saggy now, would have been better off if it was OSB3...

And OSB1, I don't know why they bother with making that, it falls apart at the merest thought of moisture...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What is it with so many of these websites now. "You are in a queue"

I don't want to be in a queue I just want to browse.

Seasoned Champion

@billnotben wrote:

I don't want to be in a queue I just want to browse.

eggzakerly.....why isn't there normally a queue to go on their websites, don't tell me that present demand is so great

that the server can't handle it ?  When I see that queue thing pop up I go and look somewhere else,  although if you do wait

the queue disappears much more quickly that is originally indicated - maybe a lot of potential buyers drop out of the the queue...  may not be the best way to run a business in these troubled times...

Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote..

As for the "drainage" problem... yes... I have considered that... I propose leaving a half inch gap between the edges of the boards... and I think the "lie" of the current boards is away from the house slightly "down hill"..  so it should not remain wet for too long... 

When you have two surfaces touching each other like the underside of the grass and the board the water will stay in there by capillary action,  even on quite a steep slope,  add to that when the sun gets on it the trapped water heats up and this encourages mould and speeds up any decay.  The methods I have seen for laying artificial turf on decking seem to refer to slatted decking with a lot of gaps for drainage, and some don't recommend putting turf on wood of any kind.  If I was doing it I would use paint and sharp sand as a durable non-slip coating that will stop water getting to wood.  You can buy special industrial non-slip paint but it is very pricey.

https://www.lawnworld.co.uk/can-you-put-artificial-grass-on-decking-2/