cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonderful NHS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wonderful NHS

Since last Thursday evening my wife has been in the good hands of the NHS, having suffered another stroke. I was advised several times that I should prepare for the worst. But the Intensive Care Unit at Watford General Hospital has saved her though sheer dedication and expertise.
I find it very difficult to find words enough to express my gratitude, but am very happy to try publicly here. 
Thank you NHS, you often take a lot of stick over many of your activities, but when there's an emergency, nothing else matters to you except the patient.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Wonderful NHS

Hi Petlew - I wondered where you'd been.
Indeed, the NHS takes some knocks, and I'm sure they're not perfect, but in my experience too they're superb in an emergency.
Good to see you back, and best wishes to Mrs P.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
techguy
Grafter

I'm sorry to hear that your wife has suffered a stroke, I wish both of you all the best and hope she recovers as much as possible.
I do agree with you though, there are plenty of good people that work within very difficult circumstances.
Community Veteran

Thank you guy's. Just off to the hospital again.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wonderful News Peter.... Glad she is on the mend.  Smiley
Community Veteran

Peter, I hope your wife makes a full recovery.  Good luck to you both.
jmd
Grafter

Petlew - hope your wife makes good recovery. 
that you had good service from NHS.
Denzil
Grafter

Sorry to hear she has been ill, but glad she has pulled through. The NHS does seem to be very good at emergency care, and *most* of the rest does a good job, too. (I was one of the exceptions).
Best wishes to you both - let's hope for continued improvement.
Community Veteran

Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery. Sounds like she is in good hands.
Look after yourself too!
Community Veteran

I agree that 99% of the time most hospitals are very good and the staff work for little pay and often get abused. But there is another side to the story out local hospital Leighton Hospital can be a terrible place at times see
http://www.leightonhospital.ascandal.com/
I worked there for a long time and know how it is run. Again 99% of the staff are dedicated but its the odd 1% like the nurse that was found guilty for murdering patients.
Community Veteran

Thank you everyone for your good wishes, its much appreciated.
This (2nd) stroke seems to have been mercifully mild, there remains a question mark about her right arm which seems rather weak, but it is full of monitor connections and pipes etc, so this may be just a blip hopefully. But otherwise she's progressing well it seems.

techguy
Grafter

That is very good news.
Smiley
Community Veteran

Peter, I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread but it may prove useful to someone.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.... S.T.R.
    Please read:
    STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
    A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally . He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.
    RECOGNIZING A STROKE
    Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!
    Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke
    Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
    S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
    T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
            (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
    If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999/911 immediatelyand describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
    New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.
    A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

Fixes: 47

Very glad to hear your good lady is on the mend and that you received good service from an oft slated NHS.
Take good care of her and pass on my best regards.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

@Petlew
Obviously very sorry to see that your wife had to go into Watford General but nice to see that she seems to be on the mend.
Daughter was born in maternity unit at Watford before it was Watford General.
With regard to NHS. I went into High Wycombe General on Thursday and came out on Saturday. Overall I was really impressed and the staff are as dedicated as they always were. Even the food was good Smiley