Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonderful NHS, errr

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Wonderful NHS, errr

Sorry, but as much as I like the guy Prince William praising the NHS is like Dianne Abbott praising State education.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44102318

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
7 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Wonderful NHS, errr

I must admit i think our NHS is fantastic , The problem is the MP,s who control the money are Useless and cant organize the proverbial in a brewery  

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed and its been more than good to me but if we don't complain than we have to accept - but then happiness as somebody once said, is complaining about things we can do nothing about.

Enter the NHS, uncured warts and all. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

We might blame politicians for the state of the NHs but is that fair ? After all they do not actually run the service that is in the hands of the individual CEO along with his board of managers.

Of course the government holds the purse strings and has increased the amount of investment in the NHS but clearly not enough to keep up with demand and unless the system of funding is changed along with a specific list of what the NHS should not be doing then funds will never be sufficient.

Sure the government sets targets and it costs hospitals money to produce data that shows if targets are being met in various areas and how often and by how much such targets are missed. Whilst this is seen as ticks in boxes by some it is essential for any organisation to know how much work is being done and if targets are met.

How well hospitals do varies across the country and whilst certain areas have much higher specific illnesses or high levels of elderly people who are more prone to require services there are still some hospitals that do better than others.  Are these hospitals being managed in a more efficient way ? It is not uncommon for hospitals to pay a whole range of prices for the same equiptment or services, the question must be why ?

No government can be responsible for the day to day running of hospitals, various types of management have been tried over the years, medical superintendents, Matrons, Managers with backgrounds in industry or the armed forces but still we seem to have basic management problems.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

No argument from me on any of that, in fact it reminds me of an 80s report on the NHS and management where one government minister I think it was said that if Florence Nightingale were to walk lamp held high through our hospital wards t'day, she'd wonder who the heck was in charge.

How little things change.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

No oil lamps allowed!  'Elf and safety you know.

Mayfly
Pro

I don't have a problem with the coal face so to speak, I find all the nurses/doctors/auxiliaries helpful and sympathetic when need be but I do question some of the communication practices between departments, each seem to have their own procedure they follow.  

My OH had to have a CT scan - it took 3 months and 5 phone calls to the hospital to get the results. How can there not be some form of follow up reminder when these type of appointments are made that if after say 4 weeks no results have been received something has gone wrong.

In anther case recently my BiL was in hospital 45 miles away (local one half a mile) they sent him home with some tablets but without pain killers they said he could have, when this was questioned my sister was told come back tomorrow and we'll have a prescription for you. When she got there they told her she couldn't have a prescription because they had discharged him. My sister was then left to contact her doctor, sort out the faxing of his discharge papers from the hospital to her medical practice so they could prescribe for him.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The government seems to think fining our NHS for not meeting waiting times will somehow bring waiting times down. One has to wonder how much money is being sucked out of our NHS. Government in UK is a liability in more ways than one.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.