Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Womens Prison ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Womens Prison ?

my local paper has this odd story ?  is this just stupid or The PC brigade gone mad

A CAMPAIGN group has called on the Government to abolish jailing women in a bid to crackdown on the number of deaths in prison  http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/16197684._Women_should_not_be_sent_to_jail__says_group_ca...

What happend to do a crime face the time ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 229

Re: Womens Prison ?

Great proposal... let's house those poor people who break the law and ignore the law-abiding majority who desperately need housing.

Something screwed thereRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

There is a link to the entire report from their site here and sure, there is something in what is being said but to abolish jailing all women if that is what is being proposed (I've not read the report) is just plain daft.

There are some nasty women locked away who should never ever seen the light of day again and sure others are there because of circumstance, but lets not divide just on the basis of gender - many men are banged up because of circumstance as well. 

Women fought hard for equality as recent events in Parliament Square honouring the likes of Millicent Fawcett remind us, so lets keep it that way. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mav

"Great proposal... let's house those poor people who break the law and ignore the law-abiding majority who desperately need housing. Something screwed there"

Agreed, and I'm tempted to apply that line of thought and logic to other events around here, but I won't. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

This is the type of report the government loves to see, just think of how much money could be saved if all womens prisons were closed.

Whilst I agree we do need prisons for women it is important to look very closely why some men and women are in prison.

There are people who simply cannot cope with life or who are mentally ill and end up in prison, people who would have ended up in the past in the workhouse or local mental hospital, these people still exist so where are they now ? As I suggest a number are in prisons.

There are some cases where prisoners are so institutionalized that on release they want to go back to prison.

In short the whole system needs a urgent review.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Another step to the fair and equal society, so long as you're not a straight, white English-speaking male with your own opinions... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

Without wanting to be essentialist, offences by women are generally low level compared to men and we know that the majority are victims of some kind of gendered violence. Having said that, there is often no alternative but to lock people people up justified or not - and that goes for both men and women.

Seems like that over the years we've tried many approaches to punishment without ever getting it entirely right so yes, maybe an urgent review is in order.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman

yes, I agree.

Not sure if it still takes place but a lot of people, mainly women were jailed for having no tv licence.

I doubt anyone with enough money to get the best legal teams would end up in jail for a similar offence to those who had little or no money.

John_Hull
Rising Star

Sorry. I tried to follow the first link, but gave up as it takes so long to load (I don't use my own local rag site for the same reason. They take ages to get all of the redirected ads up, before you can actually read anything).  That said, it looks like a typical local rag, trying to be a tabloid. Take a serious point and simplify it to one line, with the sole intent of raising the blood pressure of their target audience by echoing their prejudices back at them.

As far as I can see, no-one in a position to do so, is talking about closing prisons. Under-funding them to the point of collapse however ...

quelquod
Aspiring Pro

No issue with the idea (not new) of not jailing people for minor crimes where there are better alternatives, but it's sexist and offensive in the extreme to imply that the law should differentiate between men and women for the same offences.

Remember the recent case where a woman (Lavinia Woodward) was let off after stabbing her boyfriend because it would harm her future? A precedent perhaps?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Mav wrote:

Great proposal... let's house those poor people who break the law and ignore the law-abiding majority who desperately need housing.

Something screwed thereRoll eyes

Seriously? - Just a few weeks ago you punished everyone for the crimes of the few while ignoring the good behaviour of the majority by closing down general chat. See the similarity?

Consequently I can't be bothered with general chat these days especially after reporting a post i saw that was deliberately baiting and it being ignored by the mod team.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It only takes one to poison the well, yet we have so many guarding it.

It makes no sense to me. 

PS. Not to worry @7up we'll just keep batting those baiting balls away! Wink 

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

@John_Hull wrote:

Sorry. I tried to follow the first link, but gave up as it takes so long to load (I don't use my own local rag site for the same reason. They take ages to get all of the redirected ads up, before you can actually read anything).  That said, it looks like a typical local rag, trying to be a tabloid. Take a serious point and simplify it to one line, with the sole intent of raising the blood pressure of their target audience by echoing their prejudices back at them.

Indeed.

Its clickbait designed to enrage the kind of idiots that like to chuck around terms like 'its political correctness gone made' or 'PC Brigade'...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Unfortunately the political left has become infested with the PC brigade in much the same way as those fighting for democracy in Syria became infested with religious radicals.

Just the way it goes I guess. Remember the loony left of Lambeth and those Militant Muppets in Liverpool all those years ago? Same Trojan Horse tactics, different agenda.

The Left just cannot help offering itself up as a warm home to an entire range of 'daft as a brush' ideas only this time, they are presented as equality and equal rights for a populist minority.

This country is going to the dogs and no mistake.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Unfortunately the political left has become infested with the PC brigade in much the same way as those fighting for democracy in Syria became infested with religious radicals.

Infested is a strong word to use, is it not? Reminiscent of Nazi language referencing Jews.

’Loony left’ or racist right. I know which I’d choose.