Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woke?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 49

Woke?

I've no idea what this 'new' word means, but could it be an acronym for 'weak on knowledge and experience'?😁

John
44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Woke?

@jab1 wrote:

... but could it be an acronym for 'weak on knowledge and experience'?😁

That's a nuanced interpretation.  Smiley

Nuance = (IMO) another word which seems to be frequently bandied around these days.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Whatever it is it's become a bloody nuisance and a way of talking down especially but not always to the older generation. When I was but a callow youth back the early 60s we might have called it being cool or our parents as squares but it was never in a derogatory way - although calling my Dad "the old man" within hearing range when he was only 40 did upset him a bit!

As always it's that little clutch of young liberal left wing social.media pundits that have given the term traction. Personally I amazed at how resilient and optimistic most youngsters are these days and it won't be long now before the old guard of my generation are swept away and y'know what, I think the world will be better place for it. They certainly can't make it any worse than the state we're leaving it in.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Just to add - and I might be late to the party on this, but another word I have picked up on this past week is 'ping'. 

It seems that's the way to keep folks within your group informed or updated by 'pinging' them.

Jeepers, I'm feeling even older this morning than I was going to bed last night. 😲

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thought I'd google it, and it's just the renaming of SJW by the SJWs themselves, so, there you go... 🤔

Amazing what you find when you google it... 😂

Highlighted
Hero

Thanks for the responses - so in other words, it's another minority trying to appear as the majority, and failing.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

Personally I amazed at how resilient and optimistic most youngsters are these days and it won't be long now before the old guard of my generation are swept away and y'know what, I think the world will be better place for it. They certainly can't make it any worse than the state we're leaving it in.

Well I hope for their sake you are correct but many young people are fickle and believe in all sorts of BS causes, true like us they are likely to change as they get older but these days some causes spread like wildfire and the authorities are quick to implement change just to pacify a small group of people.

And remember the old generation before ours...the ones who fought and died in the last to world wars...the likes of that generation we will never see again.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

For the brave that fought against fascism I agree, but we can take no pride in a generation that by fate or fortune were responsible for the deaths of an estimated 85m people.

The horror of it all is that it will only need the leaders of the next generation to authorise the pushing of a few buttons in order to obliterate billions and in doing so wipe our species off the face of a planet made uninhabitable afterwards.

We ain't seen nothing yet, and hopefully our children never will either. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Done.

Just reading a tweet by John Cleese.

"Guidance please. Is it alright to call a large, aggressive, loutish male person an 'ape', provided he's white?"

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

Well I hope for their sake you are correct but many young people are fickle and believe in all sorts of BS causes, true like us they are likely to change as they get older but these days some causes spread like wildfire and the authorities are quick to implement change just to pacify a small group of people.

Yes,  and you often cringe when you realise how naive you were as a youngster,  and how much you thought you knew, but in reality how confined your knowledge was, and likely imparted, along with a good dose of brainwashing by liberal / leftie types who inhabit our education system.  There are reliable statistics showing they people get something like 3 to 5% more likely to vote conservative as they get older.... and I fully understand why,  it is only experience of what a mess the others make of running the country that turns people towards the conservative party,  and you only get experience by getting older and seeing how things really are., not how you would like them to be.

Highlighted
Hero

@twocvbloke wrote:

Thought I'd google it, and it's just the renaming of SJW by the SJWs themselves, so, there you go... 🤔

Amazing what you find when you google it... 😂

I initially thought the 'SJW's were 'Southern Jehovahs Witnesses' 😂, but then I realised you meant the self-appointed thought police - small minded Stasi.

And yes I could have DucKDuckGo'ed it, but I was too lazy.😀

John
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

And yes I could have DucKDuckGo'ed it, but I was too lazy.😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

There, did it for you 😃

Highlighted
Hero