cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With usage cap of 60GB or less pcm, what advantage is faster than 8Mb speed?

Community Veteran

With usage cap of 60GB or less pcm, what advantage is faster than 8Mb speed?

I see someone in another area is complaining that their Pro broadband package is only 6.5Mb when they feel it should be 7Mb and this got me wondering about something I've thought about often since joining Plusnet.
I run and managed professional networks in the past and the speed of connection was often key, making ADSL in any guise unacceptable as a means of inter office connectivity, ideally I wanted 1Gb connections throughout as it would have made my life easy and enabled me to be very lazy about the placement of servers and services, rather than having to consider very carefully who would use what when and place the servers based on that, arriving more often than not with a deployment that was about making as few people unhappy as I could.
However, when it comes to my home... well I changed from UK Online to Plusnet, moving from a 8Mb unlimited service to a 20Mb 60Gb service.  And frankly, even though my speed has indeed increased, in day to day use I really only know this because the speed testers tell me, sure somethings download faster, but I was hardly bothered about how long Ubuntu took to download on a 8Mb connection, it was quick enough that I really didnt mind, so now it downloads at 20Mb and I can't subjectively tell the difference.
However, I got hit badly by the 60Gb limit, I don't have a TV, I use iPlayer a lot, download various Linux distros, use VoIP for perhaps 10 hours a day on average.  A 60Gb a month limit was crippling.  I can't imagine how people cope of 10GB and 20GB limits, I know they clearly do, but I can't imagine how.
But what leaves me stunned and at an even greater loss to understand is why people on Pro with a 20Gb limit, want broadband faster than 8Mb's (yes I know many don't get anywhere near that speed) but that brings me back to the opening of this post, when limiting yourself to 20Gb usage per month, why does an 0.5Mb of speed from 6.5Mb to 7Mb make any difference at all?
BTW, I'm not asking that person directly because this question isn't aimed at them in person, or meant to be some form of critism of them, their post is one of many from many people in a similar vain, but I am really interested in
a) how people cope with 10GB or 20GB limits
b) with those limits, and given a connection speed of say 5mb or greater, what is the use of a faster connection?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: With usage cap of 60GB or less pcm, what advantage is faster than 8Mb speed?

I think the important point is that people don't do the same when they have a faster connection, they always want to do more then complain about the limit. If we compare two people, one of the faster connection but both who do identical browsing and downloading activity then in theory the amount of Gb used in the month will be the same. The difference with the faster connection as I see it is that downloads will be quicker and web pages will resolve quicker subject to outside constraints.
I am currently on a 20Gb product and yes I would prefer faster upload and download speeds than I'm currently on (5923 kbps / 707 kbps) and the reason is that when I do want to download or upload stuff I rather have it done and dusted as fast as possible so that you haven't waited two hours only to find the connection glitches. So far I have not reached my limit. The two areas that I could see blowing my limit is downloads and streaming, but only if I decide to use these facilities more and I could do that on my existing connection.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: With usage cap of 60GB or less pcm, what advantage is faster than 8Mb speed?

I am on Value - 10 G  nd my running speed is just over 10, up to about 6 month ago, no problems, then I think youttube stated to send most down HD and didnt tell you, plus the wife is doing a craft couse based in the US, now hitting about 8g,  made a mistake yesterday, she was watching QVC via their watch live, We hit 1.6G in one day, lucky onlt 1 and a bit days to go to month end and at 8.5G, but with luck wont go over

in the good old days my firm had a private link via Goonhilly to the US, most of the several thousand UK PC's were on server links with all files and some programs on servers as well,  dont have a clue what our speed was but we didnt have any trouble.
and in the 80 I was based on a satelite site 25 miles from base with standard BT linked private net, no trouble there either
Steve
Pro

This Is an Interesting subject, My exchange gets ADSL2+ by the end of this month and I have a very good line, Synching at the best you can get on an upto 8MB, Short line aswell, However I dont see the need for me to raise this with Plusnet to get moved onto ADSL2+ as I am more than happy with what I have now, Im on the 60GB Package and rarely hit 30GB usage every month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: fourfourdevon

However, I got hit badly by the 60Gb limit, I don't have a TV, I use iPlayer a lot,
a) how people cope with 10GB or 20GB limits

If you had a TV and licence, you would save a great amount on your usage by not relying on iPlayer to provide your TV services... a Digital recorder could also help in this respect if you are not able to watch "live" (ho ho ho) television...(95% of it is now pre-recorded) ....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

true Shutter, but the TV licence fee would pay for one heck of a lot of broadband
ps I have three PVR's  a Humax HD on Freesat, an old Humax on Freeview and a newer twin tuner on freeview,, never short of anything to watch, especially on a Saturday rubbish night
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: pierre_pierre
true Shutter, but the TV licence fee would pay for one heck of a lot of broadband

But he is not using that money to increase his broadband... he is complaining of the limit of 60gb at his current charge rates.... and asking for advice on how others manage with a limit to what they can use...  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

@ p_p Are you, like me, still using 3Gb for Ofcom/Samknows trial - that's about 2Gb of our 10Gb.
I live comfortably within 10Gb but obviously use Freesat + Freeview recorder.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yes to Sam, but my usage has gone up more recently
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
he is complaining of the limit of 60gb at his current charge rates.... and asking for advice on how others manage with a limit to what they can use...  Smiley
Huh?  I am not complaining at all, and my current package is uncapped.
My question is about the speed, do people really need more once they enough to be able to watch IPTV whilst browsing, playing etc normally, and given such small caps as 10Gb etc what use is the extra speed?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Despite being online several hoursa day  I get nowhere near using 10GB per month. Where possible I watch / record TV from Freeview. Any iPlayer (or other large) downloads I do midnight-08:00 when they are not charged. A faster link might be an advantage during "free" overnight usage.
p.s. A TV licence is required to watch live TV over the internet.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/

Fixes: 123

Personally, I think broadband speed is not dissimilar to hard drive space. The more you have the more you find to fill it up and, eventually, require more space.
The faster BB you have the more you see you can do and then that is not enough - you want more. Human nature?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I would agree, but only to a point.
If more services where offered that required higher speed, then I would probably use them, but for me around 8mb's seems to be pretty much all I need because there doesn't seem to be any service that will exploit more.
But then that brings us back to my central question, if you've got say 20Mb download speed and you used it to its fullest, you would use 9GB of allowance in a hour.
So again, with a 10GB allowance, what use is a 20Mb download speed vs say 5Mb?
Fixes: 123

A couple of things come to mind, fourfourdevon:
Quote from: Spider
...reason is that when I do want to download or upload stuff I rather have it done and dusted as fast as possible...

I would agree with that.
Don't forget that the allowance is peak-time only and there is still off-peak when you can download as much as you like.
Also, with the faster speeds you can have more than one person watching HD content at the same time. If I'm downloading and my wife wants to watch something in HD it can't be easily done with my 4500. Unfortunately my exchange is not likely to upgrade to ADSL2 any time soon Sad
I still think that it's a case of the more we have... the more we want... Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never understood the point of bandwidth limits on super fast connections to be honest. IT doesn't matter how much people claim the need for efficiency, bandwidth management, planning, etc the simple fact is this: The faster your speed the more you can download / upload faster. The more you can transfer faster the faster you can move onto another task which may need transfer.
I'm not a heavy user (the SO is - skype etc) but I can live off a dongle quite happily but what I don't understand is why ISPs think that faster connections won't need more bandwidth.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!