cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Witch Hazel Gel

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Witch Hazel Gel

For over a month I have had bright red really harsh rash under my armpit. I ignored it thinking it would go away. It didn't so I went to the shop and bought Witch Doctor Gel with hazel extract. Was only £1.99 at savers. 24 hours later the rash has went from harsh bright red to pinkish light brown. Only in 24 hours. Hopefully it clears it up completely. Anyone else find it this good ( if you have tried it )

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Witch Hazel Gel

A quick Google of "bright red armpit rash"  will soon scare you into your GP's surgery. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

You open this post with

For over a month I have had...

I'd have given it two days at max before heading off to the doctors. We are in the 21st Century @Steve and we don't need to self diagnose. With the internet being the way it is it may well be too tempting to do this, but one man's rash may be something completely different to another. Just because it's a natural remedy doesn't mean it will work, or appear to work for you, get yourself an appointment for goodness sake.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks guys.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My long departed granny had two stock remedies for everything - witch hazel and cider vinegar.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I do not really agree with some of the comments about going to your Doctor prior to attempting to cure the problem yourself, sure there are some scary and often American web sites which can leave you thinking your days are numbered if you have some minor ailment, no wonder it takes so long to get a GP appointment, I suspect some of those attending have no reason to be there.

As for your underarm rash, well with all this hot weather I guess it's a common problem and caused by a yeast infection so will not get better until to apply a anti fungal cream of which there are many and available without a prescription.

I have no idea what is in witch hazel but as you say it worked within a few days which confirms my first point about a GP visit being unnecessary.

If the condition had not responded to your chosen treatment then by all means a visit to the Doctor would be appropriate for further investigation.

Community Veteran

It might be fungal, bacterial, viral, allergy, invertebrate or auto-immune. Each requires a different treatment. Worth checking in with a medical practitioner to decide on appropriate treatment. If Witch Hazel Gel treatment is supported by evidence based research, the medic might say continue with it for a few days to see if it is working.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:
I have no idea what is in witch hazel but as you say it worked within a few days which confirms my first point about a GP visit being unnecessary.

Are you really serious @gleneagles. Are you suggesting that people should self diagnose and medicate based on searches done on the internet, but when that fails consult a Doctor?

It may only be a rash but that rash could be caused by anything not just heat as @Steve's had it for over a month. In my option the only people that should be allowed to self diagnose are doctors and even then they should get a second opinion from a colleague in the same profession.

What if the condition worsened as a result of the 'remedy' applied, it could easily happen when one element reacts with another resulting in aggravation of the condition or even poisoning.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think it was a bacteria infection due to sweat. I sweat more under that armpit than the other one but not drastically. I didn't go to a doctor as I kept it clean and thought it would clear. It wasn't clearing so I thought I would give witch hazel gel a bash which is antibacterial. Day 3 and it's light brown now big improvement. I would imagine the doctor would tell me it's clearing up. If it doesn't clear up completely a trip to the doctor will be necessary. I'm not saying it works for everyone and @Mook is right I could of made it worse but it hasn't.
Community Veteran

Armpits aside, I've just decided to add some Witch Hazel to the hedge I'm restoring at my orchard. The previous barbarian owners ripped up 30 metres of historic hedgerow and replaced it with wire stock fencing. The Witch Hazel will make an attractive addition to the traditional native species I planted last winter. It is a winter flowering shrub.  I'll name that section of the hedge "Steve's Armpit".

Steve
Seasoned Pro

My armpit could do with a trim come to think of it.
Community Veteran

If you wanted to be really posh you could always call it "Stephanus Oxterus", with Oxter being Jockanese for Armpit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One useful tip, shave your pits, it cuts down on smell and keeps them drier than if they were hairy, bacteria love the armpits, warm, damp, hair to cling to and food-rich, cut out the hairy homes and reduce the dampness and the problem of their being there creating a stink (and potential infection) is reduced significantly... Smiley

Community Veteran

Consult your local pharmacy. They are well trained people and you will get to see someone straight away.

The NHS advises that the first port of call for minor conditions should be the pharmasist which will allow GPs to deal with m ore serious cases.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Very good @Mook @artmo I always forget I can do that. I like trying natural remedies and this gel has made a big difference over the last 3 days. I am fairly good at self diagnosis thanks to the internet. One time I had a bad chest, i went to the doctor because it wasn't clearing. All he said was you have the cold use plenty hot water to steam it out and drinks. Another time when half my face became paralysed obviously I went straight to the doctors. I told him I had an idea what it might be as I done a google search. He said to me what do you think it is? I said Bells Palsy? he said i think you are right.

My face went back to 100% which I was most happy about. You miss smiling when you can't do it to anyone!!