cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Broadband

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wireless Broadband

Anyone have any experience with wireless Broadband from companies like w3z.
They are currently offering  20Mbps (currently we get around 1.5Mbps).
4 REPLIES
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Wireless Broadband

Broadband companies advertise a maximum speed - what you will get depends on the speed available in your area.
For instance Plusnet offers up to 17Mb on Unlimited Broadband - in my area I get 1.75Mb.
The hint is in the phrase, 'up to.'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

You are confusing the two technologies - if you are in range of the transmitter with sufficient signal strength them you should get maximum speed and given the location of the transmitters (on top of local hills) that shouldn't be a factor
In this case the limiting factor is the congestion on the transmitter or the backhaul
However given that the products are all download limited that shouldn't be a factor except at times of peak demand but that depends on the degree of diversity allowed for
Fixes: 47

They do say.....
We also guarantee not to oversubscribe our services (a common cause of access problems with ADSL providers), so you get to stay online as long as you want and at the speed you have paid for.

Hmm.... Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

those prices are pretty steep though,
years ago i used a similar company but they were a hell of a lot cheaper, cost me at the time £15 a month for guaranteed 5 meg service 24/7  connectivity limited to 10gig usage per month peek times and unlimited midnight to 6 am (so i just timed downloads to run after midnight) so it would depend on what price your happy to pay based on your average usage.
it might work out cheaper to get a mobile (mifi) service on 3/4g contract depending on usage, certainly 3's mifi contract is £20/15GB/month http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/20529 for instance, no doubt others are a similar or cheaper price if you get service in your area
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you