Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wintry Weather is coming...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Normally do a Tesco food shop at 6am of perishables, after a bit of International Skyping, noticed 6am last week was quite bright, 6am today was very dark...

We've had a glorious day here in Derbyshire, Blue Sky, not a cloud in sight....... However, this leads to...

Overnight forecast of 2ºC, expected heavy frost tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Windscreen de-icer squirty bottle by the front door, aerosols in the cars, along with rubber tipped scrapers... and spare warm clothing in all.

Clothing wise, Trapper hats, Thermo Gloves & Snooks prepared.

Even dug out the thermal undies, on standby !!

Thermo fan heaters in the more isolated unheated rooms, (2am-3am ish snack of Tea & Toast in the small kitchen) plus I don't like CH on at night, we wake up with dry throats.

Comes on at 4am, so  it's nice & toasty when we get up.

Heated Car seats...Mmmmmmmmm

We do sometimes get Snow in October around here !!!

Are you prepared yet ? 

51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Wintry Weather is coming...

Infinity wrote:

Are you prepared yet ? 

Yes, I have been since I was first introduced to snow, it gets cold for a few months then warms up again, and silly people think it's a one-off in life and suddenly panic when the temperatures start to drop and seem surprised that it's getting cold again... Funny

I remember a number of years back (2009-2010 I think) when the nation was frozen solid, and more to the point, the nations' "super efficient all-singing-all dancing will save you money on your bills cos it's awesome" condensing boilers had their condensate discharge drainpipes freeze solid, ours did too, everyone else who got their faces on telly for the news just complained that their house was freezing and they had no hot water and nobody was coming to their aid, etc.etc.etc., meanwhile, I took the pipe off the bottom of the boiler, stuck a bucket under there and had heating & hot water again, just had to remember to empty the thing every day... Grin

So, yeah, I'm prepared, if the SHTF then I'll just use my logic and skill to survive, I have an Aladdin paraffin heater & lamp, so heat's sorted (the Aladdin lamp is a miniature version of the heater, so puts out a LOT of heat), I have a condenser-regulated generator, so basic electrical needs are sorted (lighting, battery charging, etc.), I have plenty capacity to store fuel, and, to be honest, I'm not a complete wuss when it comes to winter like people seem to be these days, after all, could be worse, could be like Canada, they get proper winters and don't act all panicky when the white stuff falls... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

unquote

WOW !... now that is a surprise...  I am really rather shocked by this revelation, and never knew this sort of thing could be forecast so far ahead...

I mean.... we are in OCTOBER.... and the next month is November, followed by December.. then in the new year... we have January and February....  Normally one would associate these months with the season called.... WINTER...

I vaguely remember, when I went to school, over half a century ago,... that during winter, it was likely to get colder, wetter, foggier, and even have some snow.... 

Didn`t we have some very deep snowdrifts during the winter of 1962 ?  

Ah yes... I was in the navy then, based at a place in the midst of the hampshire countryside,... it snowed so much we had drifts of 14 feet blocking the main access route, and were "detailed off"  with shovels and wheelbarrows, to dig the road free, so we could get the Christmas Leave bods, back on camp, so that we could go on our late christmas leave...

Ah yes... Wintry weather.... now that is unusual for this time of year...  Cheesy

Infinity
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

I remember a number of years back (2009-2010 I think) when the nation was frozen solid, and more to the point, the nations' "super efficient all-singing-all dancing will save you money on your bills cos it's awesome" condensing boilers had their condensate discharge drainpipes freeze solid, ours did too, everyone else who got their faces on telly for the news just complained that their house was freezing and they had no hot water and nobody was coming to their aid, etc.etc.etc., meanwhile, I took the pipe off the bottom of the boiler, stuck a bucket under there and had heating & hot water again, just had to remember to empty the thing every day... Grin

We had the same problem, over the phone, the CH Engineer just said to pour boiling water over the condensate discharge drainpipe, as a quick solution.

We then lagged the pipe, no problems since.

Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

Even though our "Local Shopping" Hybrid Jazz has very effective Traction Control, if it does Snow, it is only Front Wheel Drive.

So snow or ice means using one of the Jeep Grand Cherokees with their 4 wheel drive.

No great advantage when it's really slippy, but less chance of being hurt if we hit anything, or any other car crashes into us.

And the heated seats are Hotter !!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Infinity wrote:

We had the same problem, over the phone, the CH Engineer just said to pour boiling water over the condensate discharge drainpipe, as a quick solution.

Would have been difficult to do that back in that house, the boiler was upstairs, and the condensate pipe quite high up and out of reach of a kettle, a hose pipe hooked up to the hot water tap would have worked, buuuuuut, that would have required the boiler to be working (before I had discovered the discharge pipe was removable under the boiler)... Crazy

Current house has lagged pipes, but said lagging seems to already be falling apart, so will need replacing again, or just use the bucket treatment again if the weather gets that cold again...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why put the condensate pipe through the wall where it can freeze. ?

I rerouted ours into a u bend in the sink, if the boiler was upstairs the pipe could be rerouted to a u bend in a bath or wash basin.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I hope that a blockage after the U Bend won't cause a back flow into the boiler (should be OK if the heights are correct and you don't leave a plug in the sink) - this is why you should include an air break as recommended here http://www.centralheating.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/4888/T11_0027BRev8_INDUSTRY_GUIDANCE...

Notwithstanding that the recommendation is not to have an external condensate line

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Oldjim

Air break was included in the system, I also put a brillo pad in the lower part of the air break as I found that during the first few years of use there was a lot of what I can only describe as fine metal filings, which the brillo pad prevented from getting into the rest of the plastic pipe.

Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

We've had a glorious day here in Derbyshire, Blue Sky, not a cloud in sight....... However, this leads to...

Overnight forecast of 2ºC, expected heavy frost tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Are you prepared yet ? 

A couple of Snow flakes late evening here. 

As predicted, it's 2ºC at the moment outside.

Same again Wednesday Night.

2C  021116.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Zero C here in Derbyshire this morning. I laid some concrete at the weekend, hopefully it would have cured enough not to get frost damage.I had checked the forecast (BBC) but freezing was not forecast.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

No quite zero here, but a cloudless sky .......

1.2ºC, the cars are all iced up, but at least we are nice & warm inside.

I put the C.H. on at 3am today.

Some slight condensation on the bottom of the double glazed windows.

We need to go out later, around lunchtime seems the best time, temperature wise.

At least we did our major food shop Monday, time to start stocking up ready  for the "Big Freeze" !!

Minivanman
Hero

Let's look on the bright side, we might get a white Christmas for a change!

As for being prepared, I always keep my old Scout hat in the boot of the car Wink

images.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Infinity
Pro

It must have reached 0ºC last night, all the bird baths had frozen over...

Some boiling water sorted that.

Interestingly, there have been two TV programmes on the Arctic in the past few days.... I do like Snow

Minivanman
Hero

"It must have reached 0ºC last night, all the bird baths had frozen over..."

Our one remained unfrozen this morning so I guess it must have been that bit warmer last night here in Carmarthenshire. 

Brrrr all the same though. Just put some food out for the birds only to notice the magpie at the top of the tree next door waving semaphore flags so I'm guessing he's letting his mates know what's available.

Where's a cat when you need one! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.