cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter already?

randpwar
Grafter

Winter already?

I don’t want to be a harbinger of doom and gloom but I’ve seen a few Fieldfare about today whilst walking the dog. They’re a winter visitor that appears to have arrived just two weeks after I last saw a swallow, a summer visitor obviously. I’m hoping that it’s just a case of the swallows staying longer because of the fine weather we enjoyed up to the end of September (about 10 days later than last year, my purely anecdotal records show) rather than a precursor of a hard winter

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Winter already?

I noticed the Hawthorn berries are very abundant this autumn too. This is a clear sign of a harsh winter.  Couple this with a Daily Express report of a harsh winter.  

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah yes, but...... the Daily Mail, two weeks ago, was predicting " an indian summer during the first two weeks of October with the temperature rising to 18 C "

( WOW !!! ) ..Cheesy

. and that this was following, what they called " ... a scorching September"   WOT  ?   Shocked

randpwar
Grafter

September was very warm and sunny, in fact, October's been really nice and following early rain today has been a lovely day

Community Veteran

September.... a few odd days at 22c and one over 30c   hardly "scorching" september... and yes, this month, so far, hasn`t been too bad for October... but then  it`s hardly been an "indian summer"..

Minivanman
Hero

Well it's cold and piddled down for most of the day here west of Carmarthen but at least the greens and golds of the coming winter warm the heart..... along with our trusty rusty wood burner!

Bring it on Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Winter already? Nope, Autumn already, cos Autumn gets cold enough to produce frost and the leaves fall off the trees and animals start to hibernate for the coming of winter... Tongue

What the daily rags say (aka, The boy who cried "WOLF!") about weather should be taken with an entire planet-sized pinch of salt, because, like a lot of works of fiction, they just make it up!!! According to actual meteorologists, this coming winter may be colder than previous winters, based on the patterns of a "la nina" (basically the thing that happens after el nino) that's working its way round the globe, whether it's "The worst winter ever on record" like the rags print every damned year, who knows, not even the professionals can say, so, the daily rags have no basis for long-term weather prediction... Cool smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Nagged the Mrs a few years back to try living in France as "it was warmer". Moved in the Autumn only to find our first winter came in at minus eighteen degrees - the wind chill factor was even lower of course and well into the minus twenties.  

The house was being renovated with little heating, so talk about frozen toes and frozens stares. I've still not been forgiven!  Ticked off

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I recon we must be the only country in the world where the main topic of conversation is the weather.

No matter how cold it gets this winter or how much rain or snow falls I doubt it will be the worst winter I have seen in my life.

With modern heating and clothes that offer warmer protection than those available years ago there will be less suffering than there once was for the average person, of course there are exceptions such as those living rough or have little money for food or warmth but most are better protected than years ago

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

Nagged the Mrs a few years back to try living in France as "it was warmer". Moved in the Autumn only to find our first winter came in at minus eighteen degrees - the wind chill factor was even lower of course and well into the minus twenties.  

The house was being renovated with little heating, so talk about frozen toes and frozens stares. I've still not been forgiven!  Ticked off

I would have thought the further south you went the warmer it got providing you kept at a low altitude.

No doubt some areas of a country can be colder than others but I guess there are charts available to show the average yearly tempatures for a given area.

Perhaps you choose the wrong area in France ?

Minivanman
Hero

We did indeed 

Our house was in the centre of France and some years bitter weather can turn down from northern Europe - at least it did that winter. The country as you may know has three (or is it four) distinct weather patterns - something like North, Atlantic, Mediterranean.... and one other?  

I've driven from one side of the Massif Central - which as you may also know is about two thirds of the way down, and had sunshine on one side and got stuck in the snow on the other..... and I still have the snow chains to prove it!  

PS. The summer were glorious, but often just a bit too hot.  Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd like to live in Canada myself, hot summers and cold winters, just what I want, unlike the UK where it's damp summers and moist winters... Smiley

That and Canada has half the population of the entire UK, so less people to annoy me... Funny

ffox
Rising Star

I lived in Canada for over a year.  Yes, the summers are hot, but what no-one tells you is that they have giant mosquitoes the way the west of Scotland has midges.

Fixes: 47

Fortunately when I spent a month in Vancouver during the summer of 2004 I encountered no giant mosquitoes even though temperatures were mid 30s.

I did encounter a bear and some raccoons but no mosquitoes.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@Strat  I suspect that Bears and Racoons are much more cuddly than mosqutioes ! .Cheesy