Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter Tips for your personal comfort.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Winter Tips for your personal comfort.

Here's a few of mine...
1) I keep my main Footwear out of the entrance hall, which can get quite cold (8ºC), and keep them out of sight in a warm room (21ºC).
Starting off with warm shoes I find my feet stay warm.
2) Same for a couple of Coats.
3) Extra Thinsulate hat and gloves in the car, Thinsulate, although warm, can also keep moisture in, if you know what I mean !
Nice to have a change of headgear after a long walk.
4) I found a "Boob Tube" type neck scarf, which for me works better than a normal scarf.
5) Thin gloves with rubber knobbly bits for driving, changing into thicker Thinsulate gloves once arrived, for wandering.

6) Now yours.......
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Winter Tips for your personal comfort.

From my days of camping in mountains in the winter - keep your boots in your bed/sleeping bag to stop them freezing solid.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

7) When it gets cold outside, I put one of each of my Winter warmers into a large plastic box in a warm room as above.
However, this still requires a search through the box.
I then had the idea of pegging each item individually onto a thin clothes line, cut to length, with a loop on each end, to string between two chairs.
The line is just lifted out of the box, and the selected item removed, then put back after use.
The latest modification is to omit the chairs altogether, and just place the line on the carpet, or sofa, or even just hand held enables selection.
And saves rummaging through the box, of mainly black items.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Two freshly filled hot water bottles on the car dashboard, whilst getting ready to go out, when frost is on the windscreen....
Thunderclap
Grafter

Tongue Embezzle the tax payer and spend winter in Dubai
Wink Embezzle the union pension fund and spend winter in Phuket
Kiss Embezzle the company share scheme and spend winter the Maldives
Angry Become leader of an English county council and go fact finding all winter long in Dubai, Phuket and the Maldives
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: shutter
Two freshly filled hot water bottles on the car dashboard, whilst getting ready to go out, when frost is on the windscreen....

That's a great idea, do you have to drive with a window or sunroof ajar to clear out any moisture afterwards ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
That's a great idea, do you have to drive with a window or sunroof ajar to clear out any moisture afterwards ?

If like many you have a windscreen that steams up / condensates overnight, a small plastic tray full of salt on top of the dashboard usually solves the problem  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up

a small plastic tray full of salt on top of the dashboard usually solves the problem  Wink

Brilliant Grin thanks
WTF
Grafter

I'm very wary of putting anything hot near frozen windscreens - when I last visited Sweden in the winter, every taxi I took had a horizontal crack going from side to side of the windscreen, right about where the air from the heater hit the screen.  Hopefully it won't get quite as cold here as it does during a Swedish winter, of course  Wink
To quickly clear ice from my windscreen I use cold water.  The first lot partially clears the ice, subsequent lots are added with the wipers running to fully clear the screen.  Keep the wipers running until the screen is dry (otherwise the water could freeze).  For the side and rear windows, use the cold water to get rid of as much ice as poss, then rapidly follow with a scraper.
Community Veteran

1. putting the hot water bottles ON the DASHBOARD is nowhere near in contact with the cold glass..... the heat rises from the hot water bottle, and warms the glass gently, which then defrosts the windscreen on the outside.
2. Because there is warm air on the inside of the screen, thus warming the glass, it remains dry...
3. if left there long enough, e.g. 30 to 40 mins or more, the glass does not "steam up" when you start to drive off, ( from your body heat/breath), because the glass is already warm
4. If it is still hot, go out to the car, five minutes before leaving, and put the bottles on the seats.... nice warm seat when you drive off...  Smiley( you can keep them in the car until you come home ).! 
Fixes: 47

What about one of these http://www.enginepreheater.co.uk/
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Hot water bottles are cheaper !  Grin Require no plumbing,  or mains electric cables to the car,.... and only cost a kettle full of hot water !...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fortunately I can park on my drive and have an external power socket so simply plug in a small convector heater in the centre of the car which defrosts all the windows and leaves the car nice and warm.
Infinity
Pro

I find in my cars, that the windscreen defrosts inside and out at about the same time as the Heated Rear Window.
I don't mind sitting in the car whilst this happens, my heated seats keep me warm !
My AirCon is very efficient too, warm air comes out of the vents almost immediately.
Fixes: 47

I've yet to try my Focus in the dead of winter. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation