cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter Fuel Payment:-

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Winter Fuel Payment:-

I was under the impression this as a one off yearly payment per household.

The last but one line of this year’s letter reads…………..people may get their payment at different times, even if they are living at the same address.

Confused……..Undecided

72 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Winter Fuel Payment:-

Sort of, it's £200 per household BUT if 2 people are eligible then they get £100 each whereas if only I eligible then they get the full £200. Daft isn't it...

Fixes: 121

I have just received notification of my mother's which is £300 as she was over 80 during the qualifying week which, for winter 2016 to 2017, was 19 to 25 September 2016.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

An expat friend of mine now living in Italy has just received his into a UK bank account, and is pleased as Punchinello!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman  sounds like, "cornetto`s all round, then! "......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Were they not thinking of stopping winter fuel payments to those living abroad ?

If you have a UK bank account they might think you were still living in the UK ?

Community Veteran

There is something distinctly unjust about winter fuel payments, I know of one elderly couple who live together but the wife claims the winter fuel allowance on the house of her  daughter. No checks and balances

This, with those living overseas receiving WFP makes a mockery of what is intended (to assist hard up pensioners keep warm in winter) half the pensioners don't need it, there is no way of giving it back.

I'd prefer to see something like a 'winter discount' on fuel bills subsidized by the same department but means tested to include larger scope. Could then effectively do-away-with the 500 strong call center administering WFP and pass the complete administration over the the energy suppliers

Minivanman
Hero

I think they have now, but not sure how or if they managed it as it is not always easy to determine where somebody lives if they can supply you with 'their' UK address and no, I'm not saying I agree with it. Embarrassed

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Pretty sure they will have this one sorted soon, just give it to those in receipt of Pension Credit perhaps.... although you might get a lot of hoo-hah from the "I pay my taxes" brigade! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

with those living overseas receiving WFP

There's actually restrictions on it now. It can't be claimed in countries where the average winter temperature exceeds that of the warmest region in the UK. I believe it covers Spain, Portugal, France and some others. I'm surprised it doesn't cover Italy, it must be colder than I thought...

Community Veteran

journeys wrote:

There is something distinctly unjust about winter fuel payments, I know of one elderly couple who live together but the wife claims the winter fuel allowance on the house of her  daughter.

That's plain fraud and when discovered will lead to a criminal record and repayment of the WFP.

I must thank the O.P. for raising the topic, it reminded me to claim the payment. I've been eligible for the last five years but thought it was a bit of a cheek to claim it before I was in receipt of the State Pension.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

There's actually restrictions on it now. It can't be claimed in countries where the average winter temperature exceeds that of the warmest region in the UK. I believe it covers Spain, Portugal, France and some others. I'm surprised it doesn't cover Italy, it must be colder than I thought...

It doesn't cover Italy for some reason.

People moan about WFA being paid to all pensioners but it has been said by various governments that it is cheaper to pay it to all than to means test it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I suspect that at some stage the winter fuel payment will be stopped along with that £10 Christmas Bonus and replaced with a slight increase in the basic Tax allowance for pensioners.

Also likely the free bus passes will go the same way.

The reason I think this is that things like social care, health service and other essential services are clearly underfunded and the government has already announced where it's spending priorities are so they can hardly borrow more money as the value of the £ has dropped, further borrowing would see it drop further.

Just my opinion

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

The reason I think this is that things like social care, health service and other essential services are clearly underfunded and the government has already announced where it's spending priorities are

Fair enough but it's probably far cheaper to give money direct to pensioners and most are probably a lot better at looking after themselves.

Minivanman
Hero

"Fair enough but it's probably far cheaper to give money direct to pensioners and most are probably a lot better at looking after themselves".

Quite right, and there will be no change to the winter fuel payment other than to direct it to where it is most needed as I suggested in an earlier post,  it will still be paid, as will the issue of free bus passes which is funded by the local authority and not central government - that's how I understand it anyway.  

Remember the grey vote, the government certainly will.