Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winston Churchill’s funeral in HD on BBC Parliament

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Winston Churchill’s funeral in HD on BBC Parliament

On Friday 30 January 2015, 50 years to the day, BBC Parliament will re-broadcast the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill, a national event which saw hundreds of thousands of mourners come together in London and many millions more watch the BBC’s live coverage on television.
Transmission starts at 9:15am

A very interesting article on the BBC Blog.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/39b6b79b-4ff9-4709-8057-9cb9e5e0356c
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050qtgj
Available on BBC iPlayer soon after transmission.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Winston Churchill’s funeral in HD on BBC Parliament

Is there nothing the BBC won't repeat.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

One to miss.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is an appeal to restore "34051"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How can it be in HD if it was recorded 50 years ago?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If it was recorded on film, they just run the film through a cine to digital video converter and record it at a HD resolution, do a few enhancements (optical stabilisation, noise & dirt removal, colour/contrast/brightness correction, etc.) and fire it out at 720p... Smiley
If the footage was on tape, then it's upscaled & enhanced, so not really "HD", just upscaled and fiddled with... Smiley
DaveyH
Pro

It was recorded on 35mm. There's no BBC Parliament HD though, so it wont be broadcast in HD.
The only way to see in HD will be on iPlayer at 720p (if they make it available in HD, that is)
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
One to miss.

I have to agree. It's been hard watching his descendants on TV all week bragging about how great he was yet alone watching him be buried again - over half a century later!
Don't get me wrong, i understand that he did a lot for the UK and some parts of europe (though people from poland are bitter that he let the russians "look after" them after the war) however it's been and gone. If watching funerals of former prime ministers is all that is left of "Great" Britain then we really are stuffed.
More to the point, although he was a politician, why are BBC Parliament broadcasting it instead of the current days affairs? - We should have a BBC Special channel for these one off things instead of disrupting other daily schedules.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The programme is transmitted this morning.
Recording it... for later viewing.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO asked me to record Churchill: A Nation's Farewell broadcast Wednesday 9pm on BBC 1.
She's fascinated by our history and loves learning from a new perspective. I will watch it, too.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
our history

If only.
As Churchill more or less said, history will be kind to me because I will write it.
If today's media was around way back when I don't believe Churchill's career as a politician would have amounted to much let alone prime minister.