Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windy Bins

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Windy Bins

@Strat wrote:

BTW My weather station has clocked 32mph wind. Still well short of my record 43mph....but there's still time.

@Strat 

I never did get around to buying and installing a weather station even after asking which one you had.

Here on the Atlantic coast 'Windy' is telling me that our present wind speed is 39Kts (45mph) gusting 51Kts (59mph), whilst the Met Office app is saying similar at 45mph gusting 61mph at present.  Seems stronger in my immediate location (highest area above the town) than those figures though, and forecast to get a bit stronger later.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Correction 3 fence panels now and the green house has blown out. Far too dangerous outside at the moment to go looking. Bits flying all over the place and the power went off a couple of times.

One good thing about having a UPS on the router supply. Even if the power goes off the internet stays on (how long for, couldn't tell you). Handy for using the laptop - like getting the order in for new fence panels etc. 😧

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
PowerLee
Rising Star

No damage here yet & bins are stored in a corner of garden isolated from wind.

Apparently in the town a tree has come down blocking 2 lanes of a main road & the entertainment building in town centre is now minus bits of its roof which are now on the pavement & Police have shut the area & road off as its unsafe.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@idonno wrote:

One good thing about having a UPS on the router supply. Even if the power goes off the internet stays on

Got the same going on here, BT SmortHub down in the kitchen on a Belkin Buzzbox UPS, Netgear *much stronger wifi than BT could ever have supplied* WiFi router upstairs on a small TrippLite UPS, and a larger Tripplite on my NVR/Plex server (more for safe shutdown though), UPS units are great... 🙂

Lægen
Grafter

@Lægen wrote:

We have 3 bins, which we arrange in a  T  shape, so there is resitance to movement in any horizontal plane or direction. 

Worked a treat, no movement at all.

Neighbour has various large plant pots !

Guess what.

One with a conifer in it, pot has a narrow base ........

Blown over & rolling across the road.

Put it back on its' side, got blown over for my troubles. Left a note, They were out

Neighbour has now !! moved plant pots !

Thoughtless.

Lægen
Grafter

@idonno wrote:

One good thing about having a UPS on the router supply. Even if the power goes off the internet stays on (how long for, couldn't tell you). Handy for using the laptop - like getting the order in for new fence panels etc. 😧

I made an AA battery PSU for our PN router, as backup. 11 hours RT.

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

This morning a UFO flew over our garage roof.

It's now an IFO (identified) - next door's dustbin lid.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Well the wind has dropped from gale force to very hard but what was fairly light rain has now started to really belt down.

No significant damage I can see. Nothing that a hammer and nails and a bit of string won't fix.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

Wind relatively quiet here; I have,nt had dinner yet. Max so far at Bounemouth Airport, 4 miles distant was 14 mph. Supposed to be dieing away.

No trouble is caused with bins becuase council uses sacks, and they're safe in the garage.😏

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Bin bags out, lump of wood on top.

What could possibly go wrong.

unnamed.png

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

What could possibly go wrong.

The wood spontaneously catch fire and burn everything? 😂

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Lægen wrote:

in light of the 80mph Gales forecast overnight & Sunday, I have Cable tied my wheelie bins together… 

Like you I also cable tie them together with releasable cable ties - they do eventually need replacing though but they do the job most of the time.

The other trick (as mentioned here: https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Stormy-Weather/m-p/1706430#M272403 ) is to use BUNGEE cords over the lids to keep them closed so that rubbish doesn't go flying all over the place in the event that they do blow over. No need for bricks, wedging against the wall etc.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Lægen
Grafter

@7up wrote:

@Lægen wrote:

in light of the 80mph Gales forecast overnight & Sunday, I have Cable tied my wheelie bins together… 

Like you I also cable tie them together with releasable cable ties - they do eventually need replacing though but they do the job most of the time.

I use these, only 2.5p each.

They are really strong, and so many other uses around the home....

TIES.jpg

You can pull them really tight, I don't trim ends, easier to remove ties later.

I use a sort of figure of eight Mobius Loop to really lock bin handles together

(Under, over, under, over)

mobius loop.jpg

(It's too yucky & dark for a photo)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

yeah but with those you have to snip them every time the bin men are due.

With the releasable ties you can take it off the day they're due or if they know about it they'll often deal with it themselves.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Lægen
Grafter

I only use the ties on atrocious weather days !