cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windy Bins

Lægen
Rising Star

Windy Bins

It’s just starting to gently snow here (NW UK) !

in light of the 80mph Gales forecast overnight & Sunday, I have Cable tied my wheelie bins together… fortunately one is very full and heavy and will be a good anchor.

We are surrounded by Trees !!!

🤞

72 REPLIES 72
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: Windy Bins

Last time we had some strong winds... I tied my two together, both about half full,... and placed them as close to the house in a "semi - sheltered" place... We have an open forecourt for two cars... bins normally are at the pavement end... and could easily get moved, blown over by the wind... neighbours all around, and particularly directly opposite, keep their bins in similar exposed location !.

so... next morning... found the bins had been moved by the wind... almost back to the pavement end ! ! ! ..

looked across the road... neighbours bins, in their normal location.... ! !

next time I`ll tie them to the telgraph pole...... ( now why didn`t I think of that in the first place ! ! !)  Embarrassed

Lægen
Rising Star

We have 3 bins, which we arrange in a  T  shape, so there is resitance to movement in any horizontal plane or direction. 

Fixes: 390

My highest recorded wind speed was 43mph on 5th Jan 2012.

Today's highest has been 26mph so far but I expect that to be easily exceeded tomorrow. Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As mentioned in another thread, I just laid mine down behind the shed on their fronts with the lids pressed up against the yard wall, keeps the lids shut and they can't topple over cos they're already horizontal... 😁

Not that it matters given other people on the street haven't bothered and rubbish is already blowing everywhere from bins that have toppled, at least it ain't mine...

Champnet
All Star
Fixes: 2

Have you noticed how excited the TV weather presenters have become  ?

Lægen
Rising Star

Our local Weather Presenters, in conjunction with the Met Office, and local Electricity, are saying they are preparing for Power outages, and for people to have torches & batteries ready.

We are ready !

Several torches, headtorches (the best emergency lights) all batteried up, and everything rechargeable has been recharged today.

Torches were scattered all over house, now consolidated into dry washing up bowls, one for each room.

WUB's have many uses, we have a few !

Battery PIR lights standard around house, so no panic if lights go out.

A couple of rechargeable Site Lights will provide very bright main illumination for up to 5 hours each.

I wonder how home charge Electric cars  will cope in the event of outages!

Lægen
Rising Star

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 08.11.13.jpg

Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

Back in the "good old days" of metal dustbins, there was an art to getting the lids off, even in normal circumstances, due to the lip around the top. Even if one of those were blown over, the chances of the top coming off were negligible. Progress eh? 😉

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Only problem we have is when the bins have to be put out overnight as they are usually emptyed around 7.30am.

No lamp post or anything else to secure them too so if this weather persists the best but not ideal option is not to put them out this week, lucky there are only 2 of us so the bin is not usually full to the top.

As for lighting, I have a habit of keeping a couple of old car batteries which provide a number of hours of lighting in the living room, couple of torches as well.....never use candles but they are a option for some.

This weather and lack of power is likely to be a one off, sure it will happen again but could be months off, we should count ourselves lucky we do not live in countries that are subject to hurricanes then we would really have something to worry about.

Mook
Rising Star

I have a concrete breeze block that I put horizontally between the wheels as it fits perfectly and so far this has stopped them blowing over even when encountering severe gusts.

Fixes: 390

My brown wheelie bin has blown over and there are bottles and cans all over the back garden.

I have booked Wednesday for a clean up as the wind should have eased off by then.

BTW My weather station has clocked 32mph wind. Still well short of my record 43mph....but there's still time.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Took a look outside, 'tis grim, turns out the bins I heard toppling last night, they were my uncle's bins next door, daft muppet didn't listen to my advice (not that he ever does anyway!)... 🙄

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Can't beat a good old brick to keep the lid shut. As for the weather station. Can't tell you what the wind speed is as the top has flown off! But Google reckons were at 68km/h at the mo.

Current damage, 2 fence panels so far. Just surprised the green house is still in one piece.... usually the polys come out and go for a trip around the garden. Duck tape is amazing stuff!

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Screen shots from "Windy" ... site

10:00   current wind gusts....

10 00  Current wind gusts.png

14:00   expected wind gusts

14 00 expected wind gusts.png

16:00   expected wind gusts

16 00 expected wind gusts.png