cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windscreen Wiper Weirdness

Anonymous
Not applicable

Windscreen Wiper Weirdness

About two weeks ago my son went out to got to work and noticed that the driver's side window wiper blade was torn, with a piece of about 12 cm hanging off it. That's odd as he couldn't remember seeing it the day before, anyway, I order a new set from Amazon and these were put on the day after. However, yesterday he went out to go to work and yet again the driver's side blade was torn exactly the same way and it wasn’t like that when he parked the car the night before!

I'm suspecting birds are doing it but how to stop them is another matter.

Does this happened to anyone else?

21 REPLIES 21
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Windscreen Wiper Weirdness

Never heard of that before but I expect you are right about the birds. Probably just a passing phase?

I guess a plastic bag slipped over the wipers is the best that can be done for now.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I know the rubbers can fail quite quickly (after an inspection) but a week or so in from new. I'd be sending them back. Has he checked the windscreen for a slight crack?

Vast majority of the wipers fitted to my cars over the years, have usually lasted a good couple of years before failing. I usually buy the complete item. Becomes even more important if its an MPV with BIG wipers.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not parked across somebody's drive is he.

Not sounding like birds to me, more like somebody with the hump. Used to happen with car aerials back in the day. 

Edit: Just read the post again - thought it was the entire wiper arm being torn off so yep, birds are a good guess but never heard of it or have it happen, 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@idonno 

Same here, easier and less of a fiddle to replace the entire item.

We also keep a spare off-side one in the car as if it does snag, bend or get broken for whatever reason we'd be in a right pickle if it started to rain. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Strat
Fixes: 495

My neighbour builds a cane bean frame tied at the top with string annually.

Within hours the birds have removed much of the string for nest building which he has to replace.

Maybe some birds have discovered the suitability of rubber strips as nest building material.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 86.0 (64-bit)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t know if it’s a passing phase either for birds or someone with the hump, but I’m not convinced by that one and I’m sure its happened before i.e last year. If you had the hump then why pick a £10 wiper blade, when the tyres cost 200 each!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking @Strat some birds may well be at that stage now which is why it doesn't occur every other week or month. Maybe they're trying to get it to stop draughts around the nest door!

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 31

Googling suggests it's not uncommon, and the usual suspects are corvids - usually crows.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

Maybe someone wanted to replace theirs, and snuk in over night, and nicked yours, replacing them with his old ones . Shocked

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bet I know who it is. I'll bet it's Jeremy Corvid, he's a local with a squawk that would wake the dead, and he's been known to dislike certain minorities in life. Mmm... I wonder.

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 31

Erm... well he has been accused of being anti-screenwipe.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Anonymous
Not applicable

@198kHz That's bad, I mean really bad, how long did it take you to think of that?

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Anonymous wrote:

About two weeks ago my son went out to got to work and noticed that the driver's side window wiper blade was torn, with a piece of about 12 cm hanging off it. That's odd as he couldn't remember seeing it the day before, anyway, I order a new set from Amazon and these were put on the day after. However, yesterday he went out to go to work and yet again the driver's side blade was torn exactly the same way and it wasn’t like that when he parked the car the night before!

If it had been winter it might have been possible to explain because of the wiper blades being stuck to the screen by ice.

So, is it possible for 'extreme' heat caused by the weather to stick blades to screens?  Undecided

Probably not, I'm thinking.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

It would be a brave bird to tackle a 'vindscreen Viper' - they have a deadly bite - a Kookaburra may have a go but you don't see many of those loose in the UK.