cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windscreen Washer Danger

Community Veteran

Windscreen Washer Danger

A report on BBC News this morning says that water in windscreeen washer bottles may cause 1 in 5 cases of Legionnaires' disease.
Legionnaires' Disease 
Adding screenwasher fluid to the water seems to be a solution.
26 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Windscreen Washer Danger

its the ingredients in the Solution that gets rid of flies, bird squit etc, that inhibits the legionella bug
Any source of still, warm plain water will encourage the bacteria
Fixes: 47

I've never used just plain water, always have put an additive in there.
Edit: Grammatical error fixed Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes, that was the advice on the Programme - always use the screenwash.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

gives the cars trying to tie a rope to your boot a scare as well, much better if you put smelly stuff in your screen wash bottle
pierre_pierre
Grafter

second thoughts dont wash any thing, you might get ill  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8254206.stm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I used to use screenwash additives, but find them leaving a film on the screen after it has dried..... especially on hot days,.... for years now, I have used just a small amount of washing up liquid.... just enough to make a few bubbles on the screen when in use. and it leaves the screen perfectly clean.... just as in the adverts for washingup glassware !... occasionally I add a half a teaspoonful of bleach, which helps if the screen is particularly greasy....  and no it don`t do any damage to the paintwork...  Smiley
and I haven`t had legionaires desease....... after 40 years of motoring !...... Cheesy
Community Veteran

Only problem there Shutter is that in winter the liquid will freeze.
atbs1
Grafter

SHUTTER,
Try using methylated spirits in the washer reservoir, it cuts through most grease and crap!
Community Veteran

You might as well die from legionnaires disease because you will go bankrupt paying £4.99 per 5 litre bottle of screen wash. What a rip off.
Was the report commissioned by Dick Turpin Halfords I wonder?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Funnily enough I do buy my screenwash ready mixed (although I wait for the 2 for 1 offer) and the reason I do it is to save me money.
That may sound silly but my car has heated windscreen washer jets which means that they can't be rodded out with a needle when blocked and because the water round here is very hard the jets used to block up with scale and needed to be replaced every 2 or 3 years. So the alternative is to mix my own from distilled water but that is no cheaper and often more expensive,.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

Yes, it does, but then again..... if it is freezing. it isn`t raining.... and if it is snowing.... don`t use the washers anyway....
Always make sure the screen is clear on frosty mornings, by using WARM water across the screen.... (yes I know... I said WARM ..... ( usually hand temp)...  never cracked a screen yet....) and then use a squeegee to wipe the screen dry.... glass is warmed up.... no misting inside. and does not freeze by the the time the heater warms up...
(I been driving 40 years, so know a few tricks ! ! ! lol ) Smiley
Wink Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: SGTE
SHUTTER,
Try using methylated spirits in the washer reservoir, it cuts through most grease and [Censored]!

What a waste..... rather drink it....! ! .  Grin Grin Grin
(but not before driving ..... of course ! )  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: artmo

Always make sure the screen is clear on frosty mornings, by using WARM water across the screen.... (yes I know... I said WARM ..... ( usually hand temp)...  never cracked a screen yet....) and then use a squeegee to wipe the screen dry.... glass is warmed up.... no misting inside. and does not freeze by the the time the heater warms up...

I miss my heated front screen on my old car.  New one doesn't have one. Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

shows how much you know Gerry, Meths is a poison alchohol, you drink one of the other sort
Havnt you every driven in snowy conditions and got the salt spray on your screen, that when you require screen wash, and the correct dilution will melt the snow down to -15 at least