cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows7 or Windows XP?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Windows7 or Windows XP?

Imagine buying a car which you have to take into the workshop once a month to fix the latest bunch of faults!
I say bring back MSDOS 5!!!!
We used to run a trading system on client PC's using that OS - we used  to securely trade 20% of the UK Government bonds trade every day via MSDOS 5.0. When we did a software release it was automatic over the same encrypted 9.6 Kbaud link We had each Olivetti M24 PC (256K Memeory) driving 4 screen, though we could if we wished go up to 8 screen.
The currently morbidly obese Win 7 (and XP) uses an enormous amount of processing power and memory to perform simple tasks and needs to be fixed once a month.
Bah Humbug.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: AlaricAdair

The currently morbidly obese Win 7 (and XP) uses an enormous amount of processing power and memory to perform simple tasks and needs to be fixed once a month.

Enormous processing power is now readily available at relatively reasonable prices and, in some cases, modest electrical power.
I'm sure that mine updates with security patches weekly as often than not rather than monthly.
Most people like transpanancy effects, animated cursors and other frivolous and, frankly, nonfunctional nonsense that requires SOME of the bloat and processing power.
XP has grown in bloat with service packs and patches and continues to grow and slow down, 7 has a 'nicer feel' particularly for those not previously used to XP.
Linux (in some forms at least) can appear more responsive on slower systems than XP while providing much of the 'look and feel' enhancements of 7.
I used to run Autocad on an IBM AT (286), this ran fine under MSDOS but required a 386 coprocessor and a Herculese video card to output to a 10" green screen: times certainly move on.
All new software releases seem to require disproportionaltely more processing and/or video hardware power.
My first computor was a Sinclair ZX81 which could run games in 1kB of RAM!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: walker23
Most people like transpanancy effects, animated cursors and other frivolous and, frankly, nonfunctional nonsense that requires SOME of the bloat and processing power.

And for that I blame SciFi and Hollywood  Cool
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Control Panel/System & Security/System/Advanced System Settings/Performance/Settings can be used to enable or disable such features in W7.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and who said its insecure, todays batch oof updates
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB250793Cool Download size: 979 KB
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2532531) Download size: 328 KB
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2555917) Download size: 1.1 MB
Update for Windows 7 (KB2529073) Download size: 313 KB
Update for Windows 7 (KB2533623) Download size: 979 KB
Update for Windows 7 (KB98201Cool Download size: 2.2 MB
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2011 (KB890830) Download size: 3.2 MB

Community Veteran
Fixes: 25

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Imagine buying a car which you have to take into the workshop once a month to fix the latest bunch of faults!

Imagine buying a car where, free of charge, the garage sends round a mechanic once a month at a time of your convenience to fix faults you didn't even know you had.  That's a better anaolgy for Windows Update, surely? 
Community Veteran

"Yes sir - your brakes have been dangerous for the past year, but don't worry we've fixed it now. See you in a month..."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 160

...and change the door locks once a month because someone has found a way of cracking the last lot. Wink
Maybe you should buy a Kaspersky garage to put it in Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
...and change the door locks once a month because someone has found a way of cracking the last lot. Wink

That probably is true for cars, if you worried that much about having your car broken into.  But with cars it isn't done free by the manufacturers.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Denzil
Grafter

I won't let Microsoft in the house at home Grin. I tend to agree generally with everyone else. Vista was horrible, 7 is better than XP in terms of prettiness and security, but is still a pain. This quad core, 8GB RAM, 10k rpm HDD PC used to take 5 minutes to boot with Vista. It is 2 1/2 with W7. My basic dual core, 2GB, standard HDD PC at home boots with Linux Mint in about 45 seconds.
So many things in 7 were renamed and moved around that it makes it hard to find the things you want. Sure, you can use the search box, but you need to know what to type, and surely the whole point of a GUI is that it should make things easy to find? It is about time they were able to do updates without requiring endless restarts. Yesterday I had to try reinstalling .NET framework in an attempt to fix a problem with an application. I needed to restart no fewer than four times once I had uninstalled, installed, updated, updated again, then updated again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Deleted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: purleigh
The faster I can get everyone else off Microsoft, the less daily hassle I will get from the constant demands for upgrades, fixes, and security alerts.

Good luck there then. As imperfect as Windows is, it is a very popular OS. Linux is still a murky monster that is far from easy to understand for the average bod unless they work with computers on a daily basis as an IT pro.
Your average call centre worker, McD's staff, banker, accountant, soldier, nurse etc is too busy with the rest of their life to learn an entirely new OS just to be switched away from one they can already use pretty easily. As for making ITs life easier most people would be of the opinion that IT is there job and many people have to work hard so why should they get an easy ride in IT support?
A good friend of mine has been a linux man for over 10 years. He programs C, C++, C#, Java, php etc. He holds a BSc and is technically a computer scientest though he doesn't work as one. This year for the first time ever he has finally admitted that despite its faults, Windows is just far more consumer and programmer friendly than the linux systems that are available. He's also made the switch back from linux at home and now runs windows on all his machines and has also switch to ASP from php. 10 years avoiding MS products and now he's switched back he is hooked and openly admits that you can't knock MS development tools even though he's been swayed by the anti microsoft pier pressure in the past.
Sure, linux is free and stable but there simply isn't the same amount of support or help for the system as their is with MS products. I'd argued this with my friend for many years who always defended linux. Now he's switched back to windows he can't stop praising MS.. he still won't admit he was wrong and I was right but he continues to say that MS are far superior - the the point where he also switched his linux server to a windows machine.
That kinda says something doesn't it.
Years ago people used to hail Google for being the free alternative to Yahoo and Microsoft search engines. Now Google is a huge $billion rich giant company itself more and more people are becoming anti-google just because they became so popular.
Thats all thats going on with the anti microsoft pro linux brigade. They've got a giant they can slag off and a free alternative they can support.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
Unfortunately Ubuntu 11.04 with it's new HORRIBLE  GUI interface, has somewhat stalled the enthusiasm to change over, whereas Ubuntu 10.10 while not perfect - WAS light-years better than any Windows release.

This discussion has gone back to the old old Windows verses Linux debate.  My most recent experience of Linux was trying to install Skype on a Linux netbook that was a few years old and it couldn't be done because the current versions of Skype for Linux were not compatible with the old version of Linux on the netbook.  So perhaps some Linux fan can explain why Windows updates are bad but Linux OS updates, which seem to come along very regularly but, AFAIK, require a complete partition wipe and re-install of the operating system are (usually) a good thing.   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Deleted