Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows7 or Windows XP?

jojopillo
Grafter

Windows7 or Windows XP?

Hi Guys,
Just had an interesting thread in BB&R where we touched upon whether you wished you'd have stayed on XP or glad you moved to Win7. What do you think the pro's and cons are?
Jojo Smiley
64 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Windows7 or Windows XP?

Definitely Windows 7, Its faster and more secure than XP ever was.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I wanted a 64 bit operating system and DX10 so that meant I had to go to Vista and Windows 7 was a no brainer from that
In general it is much more stable
However - you must have at least 2GB of RAM and a decent graphics card to get the benefit with grinding to a halt
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I like windows 7 but one piece of software I use does not run, so am still with XP (earthworm).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Still on XP here, can't afford 7 despite it looking nice plus my hardware would probably blow up trying to cope with it. My CPU fan is in overdrive most of the day anyway so 7 would probably see it smokin.
My neighbour has 7 though and it looked very similar to Vista (which I dislike) but he says its far more stable and prefers it to both vista and XP.
If I could afford it i don't think i'd be buying it in a rush anyway since I'm quite happy with XP. It does what i need it has decent networking (unlike 98 and Me) and is still nice to work with.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Horses for courses.
What I am glad about is that I've skipped Vista.  Crazy
My main desktop PC is W7x64 and it's fine. For most things XP would probably be OK but there are enough times when I need the newer capabilities that it's worth it.
Still have several XP systems as well and the rest of the family are all still on XP.
I also have, among my "laptop museum collection" an oldish Dell XP laptop (Inspiron 5160) that I've upgraded to 7 (32-bit) and it works very well.
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
Steve
Pro

Windows 7 uses less RAM and disk space than Vista
As you can see, on this low-resource configuration Windows 7 uses dramatically less RAM than Vista, and also has a smaller hard-disk footprint.
Community Veteran

I'm really a Linux bod, so my vision of Windows is always a clouded one...
I have a main desktop running Windows 7. Like others, I wanted a 64-bit variant to allow memory to go over 4GB (it now has 6G), and it was a no-brainer compared to Vista - which is a real dog; not to be touched with a barge pole.
W7 still chews through memory, but it works in a reasonable fashion. It crashes less, and can be made to sleep for many consecutive times without becoming confused.
My XP laptop works OK, but is more limited by memory, and has a horrible habit of getting confused over its Wifi hardware - so that it regularly fails, but thinks the hardware is already disabled, and has none of the options to fix the connection. Hibernation seems to make this problem worse.
Vista just seemed to run everything slowly - even while it was reporting that there was no CPU or disk usage. Just infuriating.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jojopillo
Grafter

My mum hates win7 with a passion, Everytime we speak she goes on about how unhappy she is with it and how she misses XP. I must say, I do love XP, and the one thing I do miss is the menu on the left-hand side of explorer that says "move this item", "copy this item" etc
Fixes: 47

I like the ease with which I can stream media to my TV over WiFi with W7 (64 bit)
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 123

W7 for me.
I liked XP having gone fom 98 through ME (what was that about) to 2000 but W7 does much more and, like strat, streaming is pretty easy.
I've never had Vista on any of my machines but of all those that did have it that I had access to I disliked it.
There were a few thigs I missed XP for initially but now can't even remember what they were Cheesy
Like journeys I have one piece of softare that will not run of W7 64 (it will on 32). I can't use Virtual XP as I only have W7 Home so may look into dual boot with XP. Can anyone point me to a good instructions on how to do this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
I can't use Virtual XP as I only have W7 Home so may look into dual boot with XP. Can anyone point me to a good instructions on how to do this?

The days of dual boot are pretty much gone. Sure if you really want to you can but you do it at a risk of corrupting your disk and partitions when you install a bootloader. I higly recommend XOSL as a boot loader although it now has no official website you can still find it on various places via google. It's the best boot loader out there with a windows type look instead of a commandline.
HOWEVER: I would honestly recommend you just run XP as a virtual machine instead. This means you basically have an emulator and you create virtual hard drives. What you do with those is the same as you would do with a real computer. It can run real operating systems and basically allows you to run one system inside another. That means you can run W7 and then run XP inside it while its running - all without a reboot  Cool
Google VMWare to get started.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Dual boot is easy if you do it in the right order on a "clean" system.
1. Assign separate partitions for XP and W7
2. Install XP
3. Install 7
Or use a 3rd-party boot manager like EasyBCD.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and the one thing I do miss is the menu on the left-hand side of explorer that says "move this item", "copy this item" etc

have you tried windows explorer on win 7, that hs the two pane without the rubbish

I have three net books, probable all three together less than a desk top, one linux, one XP and this one Win 7, I have several older programs that wont run on Win7