cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows v Linux just for fun

Fixes: 47

Windows v Linux just for fun

I was reading a post from a Linux devotee and the thought came to mind of an analogous comparison.
Here is mine.....
Linux is like one of these Austin Sevens
Solid, reliable and very configurable with it's choke, advance and retard levers etc. Perfect for the techy twiddler.
Windows is like a Skoda

Solid, reliable and all you need to do is start it up and away you go.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
227 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Windows v Linux just for fun

Cheesy
But I think you have them the wrong way round.
Windows is like a Model T Ford, it comes in ONE flavour and ONE colour. Only available from Ford.
Linux is like all the rest of the motors, lots of flavours and colours, available from many places. (On phones, tablets, set-top devices, pc's etc)
With Linux you can download it for FREE and try it, if it works for you then you can install it, again FREE, and use it for as long as you like again for FREE, install it on as many pc's as you want and upgrade for FREE.
Windows wants you to BUY it, then register it, then it keeps phoning home to make sure you haven't been bad and actually used it  Cheesy Then when you change your pc they want you to BUY It again (didn't they?).
Did I mention Linux is FREE  Grin It is FREE to use and FREE to not use  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ah not this arguement again lol
HB you're right in many ways but wrong in so many others. Windows is far more user friendly. Linux requires that you know its internals and know its code inside out. On linux you have lots of different versions that won't cross support programs (so you have to compile different versions) yet on windows one program usually runs on all versions.
Windows also lets you manage things with point and click. Linux wants you to know the command line inside and out, all the programs parameters (which of course you have to find on a forum somewhere as they're not published in the documentation) yadayadaya. Then you have the monitor configuration.. another use of vi and settings that are undocumented... on windows it autodetects and the job is done.
Yes linux is great if you want to tinker and adjust and you've been given gods knowledge of hos to make stuff 'work' without needing to look things up on google.
Windows is great if you just want to jump in and use it without the hassle of several years of research in IT / computing, a phd, and training from MIT..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tttonyyy
Dabbler

For many many years I've been of the opinion that Linux is best kept for servers - a royal PITA to set up, but once you've done it, it'll work forever - or - until the hardware fails.  Never been a fan of Linux on the desktop for many of the reasons given above, but loved it for servers.
But things have definitely changed, now I'd thoroughly recommend Linux Mint for newcomers - it's how Linux should have been, years ago.  I've even swapped my teenage daughter from Windows to Linux Mint and she loves it.  Ubuntu Unity is good too when you get used to the interface.
Plus anyone using Android phones is a Linux user though they may not realise it Wink
tttonyyy
Dabbler

Quote from: Sprite
several years of research in IT / computing, a phd, and training from MIT..

I'm pretty sure my daughter has none of those, unless she's been keeping it quiet! Wink
kmilburn
Grafter

For most mainstream Linux variants  (I'm an OpenSUSE user myself, don't have a PhD and have never been to MIT),  the major configuration options are in the UI, and the installation does take care of setting the main defaults correctly.
For your average user, you could give them a preconfigured system with one of the mainstream linux variants and they'd be as productive on it as they would on windows. 
For more advanced users, (i.e. those that may actually be able to install an OS themselves) it usually comes down to familiarity and preference.
For power users  (like me), Linux provides a lot of advantages over Windows,  you can strip out all the unnecessary parts to get a streamlined version,  you actually get feedback from the system so you can see what it is or is not doing.  Linux will even tell you what hardware you've got connected rather than showing an 'unknown device'.
As ever with these things, it comes down to what you want to do and picking the right solution for your needs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, I agree with sprite.... Linux is OK ..... IF.... you know what to do with it.... OR..... know someone else who does, so he/she can get your favourite programs to work on it...
I have been "battling" with Inux Mint, since version 8.... and still I cannot get my favourite programs to work properly on it... (not Mint 8 , but MINT 15 ).....
Yes, of course, they are all "windows based" programs.... They are programs , in many cases, that I have been using for years, and do EXACTLY what I want...
Linux users say you can use "many" windows based programs using WINE... ( WINdows Emulator)... and this is true... but many more just don`t work.... and the alternative/similar programs are not as good as, or fully "similar" enough to be used as alternatives.....
Strats original post is very apt, and I agree entirely with what he says...
Linux users will say.... if you have a problem with a program, use the Linux Forum to get help.... Did that... and guess what the reply was.... .................." file a bug report"  .... no other information on how to, or where to, or what .... just...... " file a bug report"... and no further responses on the forum either... so  that is how "helpful" Linux forum users are... or... they haven`t a clue, either...
HB has been very helpful to me on THIS forum, and I appreciate that, but I am still no further forward into using LINUX MINT than I was when I started with MINT 8... so... although I have MINT 15 on a Cruzer Blade memory stick, for emergency access, I am not able to install it and use it as a mainstream OS....
I shall keep trying... but then... that is LINUX all over... Very Trying...  Sad

@shutter maybe I should swap the Toyota picture for a Skoda Smiley
Community Veteran

Most definitely. !  Cheesy

Consider it done.
Community Veteran

Nice one.... !.... ( looks posh with those roof bars! ! )... ( would that be  " Windows Defender"  ? ? ?  )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter you make some good points about the linux support actually. I've often been in that situation with linux years ago and found it equally frustrating.
I remember moons ago trying to get a ralink 2500 based wifi card working in SuSE 9. Do you think I could get any help at all? No. None.
Tried a few other distros, didn't really like any of them and after giving WINE a go to try and convince myself to stay with linux I gave up. WINE was utterly useless - I created a windows program with a form and a button using object pascal. Wine displayed the form with awful looking scrollbars and clicking the button made the program crash. How on earth could I expect it to handle something more complex? - I couldn't and thus my days of giving linux a fair go were over.
It's great as a server OS for webhosting etc but in my view it's still got a sharp learning curve. Even debian on the pi can be frustrating. What are linux permissions all about? - I've never understood them (mind you read only on windows file properties is a total brain bender too as it never works and when you deselect it often comes back lol).
My mate used to swear by linux and a couple of years back made the switch back to windows.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

@Shutter
If the biggest problem you have with Linux is getting Windows programs to run in Wine, may I suggest using Windows instead!
While Wine is good, sometimes there's no realistic alternative but to run the program in the correct enviroment  (directly or in a VM).
I have a few friends/family who I'd like to switch to Linux,  but due to some of the programs they run, Windows is still the best option for them!
@Sprite
Many moons ago,  hardware manufacturers were completely oblivious or actively hostile to linux,  providing no information for the Kernel developers to use. 
The WiFi card makers were one of the worst offenders.  You probably got no help as there was no one who could help.
These days, the hardware makers are a lot more friendly, (but they still like to obfuscate things).  But ultimately without their support, Linux won't support new hardware unless someone manager to reverse engineer it.
It's not much better on windows though, I have a device which the manufacturer not produced Windows 8 drivers, and seemling, has no intention of doing so!
And If you think linux permissions are confusing, try getting into Windows ACLs and its permission system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
Linux is like one of these Austin Sevens

Slight flaw there Strat:
Where can I get one of those free Austin Sevens then?  Does the free of charge Austin Seven also come with unrestricted use in whatever way I see fit and free community support if it breaks?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Lets get things a little clearer.......
I like the idea of Linux...... I want to use Linux.... BUT... certain programs I use, do not have Linux equivalent/similar progs that would take the place of...
(most of the progs I use on Windows, do work quite well, on the current (new) WINE setup)...

PLUS... there is one particular prog that , "should be" running in WINE, as all the setup and configs and permissions are active in Linux, but it just does not connect to the internet... and.... nobody seems to know why..... not even the writer of the prog...........................and that is the prog I was referring to, in my comment about WINE forum.... response.... "Send a bug report".... End of...
The main reason I want to run Linux is my mini laptop... W7 takes forever to boot up., and get to working condition... I don`t use all the progs on my mini laptop that I do on my main lapotp... so I could use alternatives for those that have them...
I find Linux "refreshing" when it works.... but diabolical, when it decides it doesn`t want to "play along" with me....