Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows security

CX
Grafter

Windows security

Sorry, this isn't Linux vs Windows flame-bait  Grin
Standard uPVC casement/awning windows tend to have a locking mechanism in which bolts on the opening panel slide into a metal block screwed into the frame. On most of these, there are two sets of grooves for the bolts - the fully-closed position and a position where the window is left partially open (around 10mm).
I've just purchased a property which was built in the 70s, and only has air/ventilation bricks in the kitchen. None of the other rooms have air bricks, nor are there any trickle vents on the windows, and it's solid concrete slab floor. As a result, there is effectively no ventilation in most of the rooms, and it is noticeably stuffy when going in after a couple of days being locked up. There was black mould on the wallpaper in several rooms, but thankfully no genuine damp problems and the plaster underneath is perfect.
Clearly I need to do something about it. Leaving the windows locked "open" seems like the easiest way to ventilate, but is that really secure? I can't seem to find any guidance on this - we are told to not leave windows open, but whilst most of us would not consider locked in the ventilate position as "open", but the insurance companies probably work to a different definition.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Windows security

is there not a local builder you could talk to about installing air-bricks?  having seen some of the messes burglars can make, i'd not be inclined to leave the window even a smidgen open when not in occupation.
Community Veteran

Quite!
The only time we were burgled was through a rear window left on ventilation catches!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

My neighbour was burgled after leaving a window open that small amount.
Problem is it's just enough to get a lever in, like a spade.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What you could do:
1.  Put bars on the windows, so you can keep the window open.
2.  Get a Extractor Fan put in.
Me I would go for number: 2