cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows or Android?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Windows or Android?

Driving along musing,as you do ,I strayed onto operating systems and computers. And a thought struck me...
With the popularity of Android mobile phones and tablets, which operating system is used the most ,nowadays?
For example,ten years ago, I had a desktop computer and the mobile phone was running on the manufacturers own operating system (possibly a derivation of Android) so for me it was fifty/fifty split. As far as computers went it was almost exclusively Microsoft or Apple.
However now, I have two laptops using Windows (both in use frequently) and a desktop that I only store photos on). As far as android is concerned I have two mobiles phones and a tablet,all of which are in constant use ,in rotation. But looking at the household,the wife has a tablet and mobile phone,and my granddaughter the same. So the balance swings in Android favour.
I suppose,we will never know , as Android is freely distributed and only Microsoft has any form of registration.
Even the tracking system on the buses I drive uses an android powered system. The little green men ARE taking over. Cool
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Windows or Android?

Quote from: doris
For example,ten years ago, I had a desktop computer and the mobile phone was running on the manufacturers own operating system (possibly a derivation of Android)

I can't agree with that as google only got into the browser / OS market a max of 5 years ago!
As for android though, all my desktop computers have always had windows and so has the netbook but the missus has the hudl and a htc phone and both of those use android. Considering women are supposed to be a bit clueless with operating systems and anything different to windows she's taken to it like a duck to water though admittedly she doesn't do anything complex but it's that easy to use that she can just use it - instantly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

+1  Embarrassed
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Well having used both I'd have to say... Apple IoS
Windows works but is rather too heavyweight these days for today's applications. And Android still has a long way to go before it matches the polish of IoS. We must not forget Ubuntu which, as an XP replacement, is a major contender. As for Chrome. Urm, what's Chrome?
Kiss Happy Valentines Day, sexists
Community Veteran

@7up.
The point I was making about operators own IS, was I didn't know if it was in any way related to Android. As for Google, yes but again I was referring to the operating system not the search engine.
It just seems that the little green 'android man' is getting everywhere. Not that I'm  complaining. Anything that spikes Microsoft's guns can't be bad. Maybe they will start testing their operating systems BEFORE releasing them. Wink
WTF
Grafter

Good question.  Windows had the advantage for quite some time because of all the millions of ancient PCs everyone across the world had hanging around, but I guess Android could be easily have overtaken, particularly given it's now selling strongly in developing markets that were previously domintated by feature phones.
There are stats for internet connections that would tell you about on-line activity though that clearly wouldn't include all machines.
My house has 2 Windows (one unused, to be fair), 2 Android (again, 1 unused), 1 iOS and 1 MacOS - or whatever it's called: I'm an IT pro so obviously have never used Macs but the missus is a devout Appleite.
Community Veteran

About five years ago I predicted, on another forum, that we'd be soon be seeing the disappearance of the home PC and it's replacement by cloud based applications/data storage and relatively simple commodity end user devices (now a.k.a. Tablets). My posting was greeted with roars of indignation that the PC could not be substituted.
Who wouldn't want to buy an expensive noisy box which generates dust, gobbles power and needs monthly fixes to the operating system and requiring regular copies of hard disk data to DVDs?
Android means you are not tied to the needs of Microsoft's shareholders and their aloof management.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: doris
For example,ten years ago, I had a desktop computer and the mobile phone was running on the manufacturers own operating system (possibly a derivation of Android)

I can't agree with that as google only got into the browser / OS market a max of 5 years ago!

Though it (Google) bought the fledgling Android in 2005.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
We must not forget Ubuntu which, as an XP replacement, is a major contender.

Ubuntu is merely one of many GNU/Linux distributions. If it can be considered as an XP replacement, so can any number of other distros.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Android means you are not tied to the needs of Microsoft's shareholders and their aloof management.

Reports suggest Microsoft is doing quite nicely from Android.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

There are also reports of M$ wanting to run Android apps on their systems  Grin
Here it is 90% Linux with Android in 2nd place. (And I know Android uses the GNU Linux Kernel before someone drops that in). I have several Android tablets that I use as & when, and a couple of Android based phones. They have gotten me out of trouble when my sat nav failed to find some places, Google Maps to the rescue.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
Quote from: Thunderclap
We must not forget Ubuntu which, as an XP replacement, is a major contender.

Ubuntu is merely one of many GNU/Linux distributions. If it can be considered as an XP replacement, so can any number of other distros.

Absolutely.  Linux fans have been predicting it's imminent dominance of the desktop for a decade but it has yet to achieve anything beyond a completely inconsequential market share.
Perfectly understandably.
Personally, I really like Unix for servers but I see absolutely no point in having it on the desktop.  And I'm a techie.  For a regular punter, it would be nothing but totally unnecessary pain.  There are already way too many people on all IT-related forums (fora?) complaining bitterly about Apple incompatibility (answer: you wouldn't expect a Mattel toy to be compatible, why would expect an Mac to be?  Grin): heaven help 'em if they had bare nekkid Unix.
Community Veteran

I have recently bought a new desktop PC and a new laptop. Both are Windows.  My other desktop and laptop are also both windows.  I feel very comfortable using them all, although W8.1 takes a bit of sorting out Wink
I also have a tablet and 2  mobile phones and they are all Android.  I only use these for basic operations but have to say I don't find Androids as easy to use as Windows.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
Personally, I really like Unix for servers but I see absolutely no point in having it on the desktop.  And I'm a techie.  

I'm not; I'm an orthodox tightarse - I'll take free (in every sense of the word).
There are already way too many people on all IT-related forums (fora?) complaining bitterly about Apple incompatibility (answer: you wouldn't expect a Mattel toy to be compatible, why would expect an Mac to be?  Grin)

I have a MacBook (a hand-me-down from my Sister). It's compatible with Linux. That's good enough for me  Smiley
waldo@apple{~}:inxi -v3
System:    Host: apple Kernel: 3.11-1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
                Desktop: KDE 4.11.5 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: sidux 2010-01 Ύπνος - kde-lite - (201006131622)
Machine:  System: Apple product: MacBook4 1 version: 1.0
                Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22788A9 version: PVT Bios: Apple version: MB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535 date: 02/09/08
CPU:        Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8300 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3  sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9575.98
                Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0
                X.Org: 1.15.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz
                GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:  Card-1: Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 5000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
                IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1f:f3:d5:e5:9f
                Card-2: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
          IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:21:e9:dc:b9:bf
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (25.6% used) 1: model: Hitachi_HTS54251
Info:      Processes: 215 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 1167.4/3932.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.8.2
          Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.17