Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live email

Fixes: 125

Windows Live email

Just received an email seemingly from Microsoft containing the following:
Microsoft account
Security alert
We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account m*****@**********.***.**. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.
If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.
If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.

There is a big blue Recover account button to click - didn'I t!
Ever security concious I logged in to Window Live by typing the address directly into FF to be met with the same message as above. I went through the various procedures to reset the password and all seems OK.
Has anyone else received one of these lately?
No one else has access to my account - should I be worried about a serious beach or could this just have been a precautionary check?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Windows Live email

do you have two step authentication enabled ?
I have mine set to text me to prove its me (the texts are free) which disabled the infinite password attempts option that allows someone to brute force their way into your account.
if you didn't add in the enhanced security stuff that they started to offer when outlook.com migration happened I'd advise you to do so, also disable any account sign in links with things like facebook to ensure that nobody can gain access through a third party site, a touch annoying perhaps but a lot safer than someone compromising everything for nefarious deeds (because of course a lot of spying agencies have probably already gained access to and vetted everything already  Wink )
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

Re: Windows Live email

I don't use any third-party sign-in links but I'll check out the enhanced security.
I only use it to log into One Drive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still